Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Just wondering if my 2014-2015 (don't remember when did I get it but it's not the last bunch) audio out features only analog exit or the combo with optical/toslink one.

I tried to hook my freshly bought DAC through the optical cable and an adapter to fit into the audio out jack but the DAC was not featured among the audio devices and as such had to hook it through USB.

Any hint?

Grazie and buon Natale

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I thought optical S/PDIF / TOSLINK was only on desktops? And even that was dropped with the latest mini.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think your only choice is to use what works: USB.
(Maybe something to adapt to the Thunderbolt connector? I don't know...)
The MBAir, as far as I know, has never had combined digital/analog audio out on any model.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Yep, I found out the Air got no combo audio out, Minis do but the old 2006 one I wanted to delegate to audio server only runs iTunes (whose sound quality is meh even tho I converted FLACs into AACs) and the spinning fan noise bothers me, I will arrange a Raspberry Pi as a music transport and leave all the music either on the NAS or on a big USB flash drive.

Grazie and enjoy your xmas holidays

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.