Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
So this is a problem with Snow Leopard that needs to be corrected. What it means is that the xBench scores are correct and until Apple fixes the issue with OpenGL we will see slower performance with Snow Leopard.

I don't believe the xBench test should be run without selecting OpenGL. The whole point is that Snow Leopard isn't functioning as well as Leopard and that is why the xBench scores are lower in SL.

Yet another reason to not upgrade to SL as it appears it isn't ready. I must admit I have been rather disappointed and unimpressed by Snow Leopard and Apple.

It's too bad as I hoped this was a problem with the xBench test somehow and not Snow Leopard.

The only processes slower would be graphics high in GL rendering like some games.

It's not just the Air, I get the same GL results w. my MBP. If you take the GL test out, the comparisons of Leo vs. SL are fairly accurate.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The only processes slower would be graphics high in GL rendering like some games.

It's not just the Air, I get the same GL results w. my MBP. If you take the GL test out, the comparisons of Leo vs. SL are fairly accurate.

But you're taking out the truth by removing that part of test. It doesn't matter if it affects all models. Snow Leopard is inferior at OpenGL and that is critical part of the test. You're suggesting not to test it but that's removing the truth from SL.

If SL is going to be fixed later that's something we can all hope Apple follows through on. But in the meantime OpenGL tests much better on Leopard. Removing the OpenGL part of the test isn't helping the cause that SL is a dog and Apple is being very M$ like with its SL OS.

I would rather this be an error with xBench. Instead xBench is revealing Apple's failure with OpenGL in Snow Leopard.

Like I keep saying, I am extremely disappointed with Apple and Snow Leopard!

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
^^^ test via GeekBench and no worries.

Run the same tests on X Bench w. Leopard & no GL and you'll see SL does give better results with that one test omitted.

It's the same way I compare a systems capabilities w. SSDs. Run the program and omit the disk drive test to make things equal.

When GL is testing at 1/2 the rate of Leopard, it can give a very skewed total result. Not saying it's right, good or proper but to get an idea of performance benchmarks, GL should be removed. Once addressed by Apple, rerun with GL.

Not a biggie especially since I'm not a gamer.

I rather think SL is a bit of a yawner. More like 10.5.9 instead of a total system overhaul. Did very little performance wise to my Air, good or bad but much less of a pain than Leopard when it was introduced.

AIRniloc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
anozira
well, i haven't been super-impressed by SL yet either..

i wasn't expecting alot, but i really haven't noticed any performance improvements whatsoever..

on the other hand, i do like the faster shutdown / wake times...and the new QT looks pretty :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.