Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I think it deserves a thread in here.

It's surprising after 2? years, they fixed rev A's notorious problem of core shutdown... except, the default CPU throttling is quite a stupid one, I deactivated CoolBook and looked at its throttling information while watching HD vids and they were at 1.2Ghz... at most 1.4, which makes vids play choppy. I thought rev A could do 1.8... (which CoolBook is capable of pulling off)

At least, for anything not too intensive, it's still better than nothing.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Yeah, my MacBook Air has been going crazy on the kernel_task. I never figured out why but I hope this firmware does something more then just fix that though.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Is this firmware doing anything for any display lines? Anyone? I don't have the lines on my MBA now, so I cannot tell. Someone mentioned on another thread. I believe that someone said Apple stated would have a firmware fix at some point for the lines.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Is this firmware doing anything for any display lines? Anyone? I don't have the lines on my MBA now, so I cannot tell. Someone mentioned on another thread. I believe that someone said Apple stated would have a firmware fix at some point for the lines.

I can still see my faint lines. Hard to say if it's any better or not as it kind of comes and goes depending on lighting conditions.

I know this is a bit of thread hi-jack, but did you ever detail what you did with your display?

h1d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Lol... I guess I got excited too early...

kernel_task is NOT fixed... what is fixed is that the other core no longer shuts down, but practically, when QuickTime using just below 100% CPU (out of 200%), kernel task takes the rest of the CPU and slows other things down (just not as badly as before by keeping both cores barely alive with 1% CPU cycle left for both...)

No, CoolBook is definitely still needed. Apple cannot do what a $10 app can do in 2 years...

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Lines are still there, temperatures about the same. In other words, there's no noticeable difference (rev B 1.86/SSD).

I hope this update is about adding support for batteries from rev C to older models. It would make sense if Apple didn't have older batteries in stock anymore... producing them in small volume (only for replacements) would probably be costly compared to just using new ones for all models. Can someone who have seen both revision A/B and C inside confirm if there's any physical difference between batteries?

h1d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Oh boy... I thought I closed them for good :p

Didn't know batteries were different.
Non focused look during ripping them apart didn't make me think they were different though, but I could be wrong.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Oh boy... I thought I closed them for good :p

Didn't know batteries were different.
Non focused look during ripping them apart didn't make me think they were different though, but I could be wrong.

They have slightly different capacity, also old one has expected lifetime of 300 cycles (as all older Mac batteries), while with the new one it's 750 (not sure why it isn't the 1000 of new MBPs). It would be good if they were interchangeable... I'll probably have to replace the battery at some point, so I'd like to get a better one then.

Anyway is the update even available for revision C? If it isn't chances are it really is the new battery support...

mk2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
I wonder if Apple has ever officially acknowledged the kernel_task issue or at least explained the purpose of the kernel_task spike.

mk2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
I wonder if Apple has ever officially acknowledged the kernel_task issue or at least explained the purpose of the kernel_task spike.

It took a massive google effort but I finally found a recent article quoting some internal sources from Apple. In any case, the way I read it was that the kernel_task process acts as some sort of under clocking mechanism to keep the Macbook Air cool or at a steady temperature. Anyhow, here's the article:
http://gogotechnology.blogspot.com/2009/07/macbook-air-and-kerneltask-apple-speaks.html

lagunab

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Apple Care and Kernel Task issue

I got my MacBook Air early August and and started trying to use it it hampered by this strange Kernal Task issue. At the request of Apple Care I did multiple captures and complete re-instals of the OS including Snow Leopard when it came out. After the most recent delays I demanded a replacement.
After all, how could a computer, loaded with ONLY Apple OS, running ONLY Apple Safari, become virtually unusable? You type and it take 10s of seconds to appear. I can't be expected to be an adjunct of Tech Support unable to load my aps to use the computer lest it be a non-virgin.

Apple repair depot was UNABLE to find a hardware problem. I was told by Apple Care that in the end, engineering might say that this is NOT a malfunction at all???? And I just have to live with an unusable computer.

Finally, I argued my way to a replacement through Customer Care. I really hope it works because I think these are great machines when functioning.

I will post when I have the results of the new machine!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-11 at 10.45.19 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-11 at 10.45.19 AM.png
    477 KB · Views: 172
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.