Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
MBox 2

Mbox 2 Hardware Features

• Superior sound quality
• Four simultaneous inputs with analog and digital I/O
• Two analog inputs (XLR, 1/4" line, and 1/4" DI jacks) and two analog outputs (1/4" jacks)
• Two channels of S/PDIF digital I/O (RCA)
• 48V phantom power for condenser mics
• 24-bit/48 kHz audio
• MIDI in/out
• Zero-latency monitoring
• 100% USB powered

Looks like a pretty lack-lustre update. I was hoping for Firewire (can't imagine six simultaneous channels of digital audio [4-in, 2-out] and MIDI are going to be particularly effective over a USB 1.1 - especially when you consider how crappy the current MBox's performance is), more portability, and possibly onboard DSP, but it looks like we won't be getting any of those.

If only Apple had bought Digidesign/Pro Tools, rather than eMagic/Logic :rolleyes: :D

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
The fact that LE still doesn't support 5.1 output is a real drag, it means I use LE as a compilation/editing/remote workstation but never get to complete anything serious on it.

The Focusrite Sapphire is a much better interface (mains powered/firewire/multiple outs/DSP...) but won't run with Protools.

There is the merest of hints that Digi are planning a PT release like the M-powered version to take advantage of the Sapphire, which would be a good move as long as they open up the 5.1 as well.

This new M-box is a step forward, but Digi are still ignoring a massive area of their market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.