Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, I’m new to this forum and also to MBox/pro tools. I am running an alesis keyboard through the Mbox with some nice monitor speakers coming out. The speakers (when not used with the mbox) can handle a huge signal, but the mbox seems to distort the tiniest volume fluctuations.

I’m arranging a classical peice via plug ins and the whole song basically revolves around this volume swell and no matter how low I start the input signal it always clips....and its not even that loud! Anybody else have this problem? Could I possibly have a setting or something wrong? Do I need to get some kind of preamp or something? Don't really know what I'm doing!

Thanks.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
how exactly is the keyboard plugged into the mbox? are you using 1/4" cables or XLR? if using XLR, i believe that turns on the mic pre's, even if the front selector is set to line in. that would definitely distort your signal.

if you're not already, use 1/4" cables (balanced if your keyboard uses balanced outs) and ensure the source selects are set to line in on the front panel.

this is all happening during tracking, yes? that's the way i read your post. are your levels in pro tools more or less reflecting what you're hearing? or is there a mismatch there?

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
i think zimv20 has the right ideas. You should use 1/4" inputs to the mbox and make sure the Line In is selected. I have had some issues with my mbox not being consistent, that is with the same keyboard, one day the input will be hot, the next day it wont (and all of this is with the same software and hardware settings). Maybe there is some drift in the pots on the mbox?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.