Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jas9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
I need to connect MBP 13" 2017 to two external displays using their respected HDMI connections and make the displays extended screens. If I use one adapter that has 2 HDMI inputs, and plug that into the USB-C port on my MBP, will that one USB-C port support TWO extended displays?

When I say 'extended', I mean the two displays showing different things/windows. Not mirroring.

jas9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Interesting, but let’s call those HDMI outputs, not inputs. The product image for that hub shows three screens from a single connection with a Windows PC? The product description, however, specifically says that Macs don’t support Multi Stream Transport and can only drive one screen.

jas9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Interesting, but let’s call those HDMI outputs, not inputs. The product image for that hub shows three screens from a single connection with a Windows PC? The product description, however, specifically says that Macs don’t support Multi Stream Transport and can only drive one screen.

Yes, it's frustrating how Windows offer that solution but Macs don't. However, I MAY have found a way. Instead of using a hub that takes one USB-C connection, how about use dual USB-C hubs? That way if it's made in a way that each of the HDMI connection uses one USB-C port on the Mac, it will work. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/ANWIKE-Docki...ds=dual+usb+c+hub+hdmi&qid=1575893958&sr=8-29

Product description of this adapter doesn't warn about the limitation on the Mac. And that's I think cause it uses two USB-C connections on my Mac. I am trying to contact the seller to confirm if it will indeed work with Mac.

Do you think this is the solution?

P.S. There are hardly any adapters on the market that uses two USB-C connections. Why's that?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Wow, you keep finding interesting stuff. That one will do what you want. It specifically says so.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
It should be noted here that "USB-C" is merely the name of the connector and DOES NOT specify what services are present. With Macs, a USB-C port can support various USB data specs, PowerDelivery, DisplayPort Alt Mode, and sometimes Thunderbolt3.

While Windows does support dual independent displays over DisplayPort Alt Mode without the need for TB3 support, macOS does not. This does challenge the data bandwidth of the USB port and there are limitations on display resolution (generally no dual display at 4k) and on any USB data speeds that may available on the same docking station/hub (generally USB 2.0 when using dual displays).

On macOS, in order to get dual independent displays out of a single USB-C connector you have to use a Mac with TB3 support and use a TB3 docking station/hub that also supports the dual stream services.

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.