Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nik_k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2022
Hello!

I'm an IT-student (12th grade) and in need of a notebook for virtualization - about 3 VMs at a time for lab-tests - and my budget is limited - about 1150€.
I found 2 MacBook Pro offers:

*) MBP 2019 2.3GHz i9 (Octa-Core) - 16GB RAM - 1050€
*) MBP 2020 2.3GHz i7 (Quad-Core) - 32GB RAM - 1100€

I would prefer a MacBook over a Windows/Linux-machine just because of the eco-system and the aesthetic/optic.
Another important aspect is that I want to study cyber-security (5 years) and wouldn't really want to get another device if for example the 2019 MBP will be outdated in 2-3 years.

My question is, would it make sense to get one of the above mentioned or should I get a powerful Windows-machine with 8 cores and 32GB which would cost me around 850-1100€?

Regards,
Niklas

Last edited:

astorre

Suspended
Nov 4, 2021
if you want a MBP then go for one with 32GB, if you dont care then go for some Wintel with 32GB, but check if there are expansion slots for more RAM (for the future when you have extra $), you said you want to run 3x VM and thats gonna fill up RAM right away (of course depending on your VM settings) and then bye bye performance

nik_k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2022
if you want a MBP then go for one with 32GB, if you dont care then go for some Wintel with 32GB, but check if there are expansion slots for more RAM (for the future when you have extra $), you said you want to run 3x VM and thats gonna fill up RAM right away (of course depending on your VM settings) and then bye bye performance

Got it, thank you!

nik_k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2022
As mentioned, VMs eat RAM ... that's why I have a 2.3 i9 16" 2019 with 64GB RAM :)
That's quite a bit of RAM :)

From my current standpoint as a student it'd just be way too expensive.
Until the end of August I'll try to find a second hand MBP (2019, i9, 32GB) in good condition and go for it and if that won't work I'm gonna go for some Ryzen 7 notebook.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Until the end of August I'll try to find a second hand MBP (2019, i9, 32GB) in good condition and go for it and if that won't work I'm gonna go for some Ryzen 7 notebook.
When I got my 16" from the Apple refurb store, choosing the 2.3 i9 64GB was the same price as the 2.4 i9 32GB. Chose more RAM as that is more useful than a few megahertz and a few points on Geekbench :)

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008

Realistically 32 GB or maybe even 16 GB would be enough if you are not running more than a few virtual machines. 64 GB becomes relevant when you are running plenty of VMs on top of e.g IDEs etc.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Neither will be good for VM workloads (I've tried).

The later model intel machines are hot. Buy a windows box with decent cooling.

A Ryzen notebook is a far better idea for virtualisation, the AMD processors run a lot cooler than the current/recent intel trash, such as that found in the intel MacBooks from the past few years.

I say this as a huge fan of MacBooks; but this is certainly a case of square peg, round hole. If your primary use case us security reserch/virtualisation, trying to do the VM stuff on a MacBook just throwing more money at the problem for worse performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.