Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I recently purchased a MBP 13" Mid-2012 (MacBookPro9.2), and want to swap the HGST hdd with an SSD. What is the current opinion on this forum on the Samsung 870 EVO 500GB?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I just 15 (minutes ago) purchased a OWC 1TB for my exact MacBook Pro since the laptop still packs a fast punch.
im running a 265 gb green WD and Mojave which wanted an hour to handbrake a 36 minute video (fast 1080dpi)

their is lot of threads here about the 870EVO on this site, I cant locate the recent one that pertains to our MacBook Pro tho, but some like the performance and price of that Samsung ssd drive.

I went with OWC because they ship faster, 6GB per second speeds (which I surprisingly care about all of the sudden)
and I like the owner, he is a nice person!

hope this helped!

Reactions: bjolester

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I just 15 (minutes ago) purchased a OWC 1TB for my exact MacBook Pro since the laptop still packs a fast punch.
im running a 265 gb green WD and Mojave which wanted an hour to handbrake a 36 minute video (fast 1080dpi)

their is lot of threads here about the 870EVO on this site, I cant locate the recent one that pertains to our MacBook Pro tho, but some like the performance and price of that Samsung ssd drive.

I went with OWC because they ship faster, 6GB per second speeds (which I surprisingly care about all of the sudden)
and I like the owner, he is a nice person!

hope this helped!

Thank you! I have purchased SSD and RAM from OWC for my Macs in the past, and have been happy with their products. The problem is that I live in Norway and postage and VAT make purchasing from OWC very costly. The Samsung 870 EVO can be found at the local electronics store, in walking distance from my home.

Anyway, I have been reading about problems when installing the Samsung 870 EVO on cMP Mac Pro 5.1 machines. Consequently I was wondering if the MBP 13" mid-2012 also had combatibility issues with the 870 EVO?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
A few years ago, I bought four Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSDs to be used among a 2011 MBP, two 2012 minis, and a few other Macs. They all still work fine and still kicking. Don't remember having compatibility issues, except with MBP2011 where I replaced the optical drive into a SATA bay, then this 2nd SATA disk had trouble getting full 6Gbps negotiated speed due to how Apple did the logic board or firmware / OS. But if just straight replacement to the 1st bay then it is fine.

I do have a cMP, a 2006 1,1. It is using a 480GB SanDisk Extreme as a boot drive. I did at one point put in those 860 EVOs to make clones, since this machine has 4 bays which is very handy. Don't remember having any issue, but then I wasn't booting off the EVO, so.

I know there must be some difference between 860 and 870, but they are similar enough I guess.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
A few years ago, I bought four Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSDs to be used among a 2011 MBP, two 2012 minis, and a few other Macs. They all still work fine and still kicking. Don't remember having compatibility issues, except with MBP2011 where I replaced the optical drive into a SATA bay, then this 2nd SATA disk had trouble getting full 6Gbps negotiated speed due to how Apple did the logic board or firmware / OS. But if just straight replacement to the 1st bay then it is fine.

I do have a cMP, a 2006 1,1. It is using a 480GB SanDisk Extreme as a boot drive. I did at one point put in those 860 EVOs to make clones, since this machine has 4 bays which is very handy. Don't remember having any issue, but then I wasn't booting off the EVO, so.

I know there must be some difference between 860 and 870, but they are similar enough I guess.

Thank you for providing your experience with Macs and Samsung EVO SSDs! The thing is that there is (according to members of this forum) some difference between the 860 EVO and 870 EVO, at least when it comes to using these as BOOT disk in a cMP 5.1 (2010/2012). The 860 EVO functions fine, but there are many reports about problems with the Samsung 870 EVO. This is the reason for me asking specifically about compatability between the MBP 13" mid-2012 and the Samsung 870 EVO. The Samsung 860 EVO is impossible to find new here, but the 870 EVO is readily available and cheap.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Thank you for providing your experience with Macs and Samsung EVO SSDs! The thing is that there is (according to members of this forum) some difference between the 860 EVO and 870 EVO, at least when it comes to using these as BOOT disk in a cMP 5.1 (2010/2012). The 860 EVO functions fine, but there are many reports about problems with the Samsung 870 EVO. This is the reason for me asking specifically about compatability between the MBP 13" mid-2012 and the Samsung 870 EVO. The Samsung 860 EVO is impossible to find new here, but the 870 EVO is readily available and cheap.
SSD disks have an enormous life expectancy. Save a few bucks and buy a second hand 840 or 850 series to be safe.
I have read about compatibilities issues with the 870 series as well.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I already posted this awhile ago.

And I also agree about used Samsung 840 - 860 drives. I have purchased many (>50) of these in 120 - 128 GB capacity, and my statistics show that they rarely have less than 90% lifespan left.

Reactions: bjolester

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I already posted this awhile ago.

And I also agree about used Samsung 840 - 860 drives. I have purchased many (>50) of these in 120 - 128 GB capacity, and my statistics show that they rarely have less than 90% lifespan left.

Thank you for providing the link to the Techpower thread! I have read maybe the five first and the five last pages of the 37 page thread. Very interesting reading.

Today I returned a brand new unopened Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, and ordered two new Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSDs from Amazon.

Thank you all for very helpful advice👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.