Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shotmodonnell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2022
Hi All!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I have a mid 2014 13" MBP that I'm considering replacing the battery of, and wondered over the course of planning this, whether or not I would be able to fix a screen issue that I've lived with for the past ~5 years, shown below !

1656086864413.jpeg

Lol so there is about 10% of the screen missing on the right, and lines of dead pixels (?) across the length of the screen. This happened after being dropped, and I have learned to live with it due to a screen replacement being prohibitively expensive (especially so in Ireland, I think). Since I would have to open up the laptop to replace the battery, I wondered if this issue might be caused by a loose connection and so could be fixed? I also wonder if opening the laptop up would have extra potential for more damage, due to the screen already being a bit broken!

What do you think? Any possibility of some magic happening here? Or should I leave it alone just in case... 🤔

(Oh! And I realise that maybe I could have gotten this replaced as part of the program that ran for screens a few years ago, but I had no idea it was happening when it was happening... 🤷‍♀️)

shotmodonnell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2022
I would do one first, then the other. However, an unintended question, why not look at a new Mac?
Thanks, good advice.

On a new Mac, I definitely plan to upgrade at some point, I'm not sure it's time yet though. This computer is still a joy to use for the most part (it's most often used with an external monitor) and does everything I need it to do. A new battery could improve it for a few more years for <€100, and I can get whatever the new Mac is at that point.

shotmodonnell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2022
In case anyone looks up this thread in the future, the battery was easily replaced in a few hours here, alongside much cleaning. The screen remains the same, but the battery health is normal again ✌️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.