Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlegion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Hi,
I have a 15" MBP 2013, i7 2.7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD) and planning to upgrade. I'm choosing between 13" and 15". First I decided to 15" because logically I had 15" and I was satisfied, but after visiting the APR and trying(browsing web, typing, watching 4k video :D) both models and fell in love with 13", decent design layout of the keyboard and speakers, there are not many unnecessarily empty places. Although I had 15 " but full of potential in bigger display I only used in consultation and presentation at the school. At home i still plugged in 24" external monitor same at work.
Working on MAC with Adobe Creative Cloud : PS, AI, ID, Sketch and exceptionally i cut short jingles in FinalCut, MS Office, internet, email etc.
My question ist if i choose 13" with i5, 8Gb Ram, 512Gb will enough power for those software? Saving money could invest in a better monitor at home?.
Im dont care much about Ports, 2 is enough for me.
Same with portability, both seems Ok.
With 15" feel like I have enough performance in the future, i want to use this model for about next 5 years more.
Thanks for adivice, have a nice day.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Yes, the 13-inch will be enough. However, if you plan to use a 4k display to watch 4k content, you may want to consider the touch bar model because it will be quieter (the non-touch bar has 1 fan where as the touch bar has 2.)

If you plan to keep this model for 5 years or more, it may be worth upgrading to 16 GB of RAM, depending on how you are using the said Apps and how your current RAM usage looks.

tomdwan

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2015
Hi,
I have a 15" MBP 2013, i7 2.7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD) and planning to upgrade. I'm choosing between 13" and 15". First I decided to 15" because logically I had 15" and I was satisfied, but after visiting the APR and trying(browsing web, typing, watching 4k video :D) both models and fell in love with 13", decent design layout of the keyboard and speakers, there are not many unnecessarily empty places. Although I had 15 " but full of potential in bigger display I only used in consultation and presentation at the school. At home i still plugged in 24" external monitor same at work.
Working on MAC with Adobe Creative Cloud : PS, AI, ID, Sketch and exceptionally i cut short jingles in FinalCut, MS Office, internet, email etc.
My question ist if i choose 13" with i5, 8Gb Ram, 512Gb will enough power for those software? Saving money could invest in a better monitor at home?.
Im dont care much about Ports, 2 is enough for me.
Same with portability, both seems Ok.
With 15" feel like I have enough performance in the future, i want to use this model for about next 5 years more.
Thanks for adivice, have a nice day.

This is an excellent discussion about this topic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.