Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomaur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2021
Hi!

I am currently looking at the new 14 inch macbook pro, because unfortunatly my current macbook gave his last breath.

I was wondering if the base model 14 inch macbook is enough for web development in React, Svelte and VueJS. Also I will be doing some backend typescript programming and running some docker containers when needed. The last thing is some light photo editing or designing.

So is the base MBP 14" enough for the coming 3-5 years?

Thanks!

jakespeed

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I do mostly C++ on a relatively large project. Our build took about 14-15 minutes on my 15" Base 2018 in Parallels. Amazingly my 14 10/16 can do the same build in Parallels with ARM Windows 11 (still using the x86 gcc) in only 11 minutes. For comparison my MacBook Air M1 runs around 25-28 minutes to do the same work.

For interpreted code vs this compile / link stuff it will FLY. Probably the only barrier will be the ARM compatibility in your Docker Containers...but support looks to be improving rapidly there as well.

rbmanian75

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
This is what my experience

I have a project with 16000 react ts/tsx typescript files and use gulp and webpack to build the project. Here is my results with node v16.13

Apple M1 MacBook Pro (16 GB RAM) : 68 seconds

Apple M1 Max (64 GB RAM) : 68 seconds

5950x (128GB RAM)

Windows : 120 Seconds

WSL2: 90 Seconds

Linux : 78 Seconds

Hackintosh : 90 Seconds

So if you are using nodejs projects there is no difference in build performance with Apple M1 and M1 Max. Not worth spending money for m1 pro and m1 max if you are mainly into node js projects

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.