Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
should i rather get the base 14 and hook it to my 27" monitor (i copy the display anyway ,so i just use the monitor to get things bigger and more ergonomic)

or get the base 16 and return my monitor .im afraid i get spoiled by the super good mbp display and wont be able to get back to my ips monitor lol

i want to point out that i dont need portability this much ,and while it does indeed come in handy to be able to put the 14 in any backpack,i can pretty much deal with the extra space its gonna take when i need it.

2 things to consider of using the 16 only :

1)bad ergonomics,because of neck strain i beleive ,tho the 16's display is higher than that of the 13/14.also how does the trackpad feels? dont u have to bend your hand in order to use it ?

2)doing so i will always be using the best display (4k120hz basically on these new macs) ,plus getting 10c CPU compared to mbp 14 ,as well as better cooling ,and much better battery

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
should i rather get the base 14 and hook it to my 27" monitor (i copy the display anyway ,so i just use the monitor to get things bigger and more ergonomic)

1)bad ergonomics,because of neck strain i beleive ,tho the 16's display is higher than that of the 13/14.also how does the trackpad feels? dont u have to bend your hand in order to use it ?
How about using the internal screen and the 27" screen at the same time. That way you have two screens which can be really handy. It is what I do and yes then you get to the ergonomics problem next to the 27"
Well I am using a laptop stand which puts the 16" higher at about the same height as the 27". I then use a keyboard an a mouse on my desk.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
How about using the internal screen and the 27" screen at the same time. That way you have two screens which can be really handy. It is what I do and yes then you get to the ergonomics problem next to the 27"
Well I am using a laptop stand which puts the 16" higher at about the same height as the 27". I then use a keyboard an a mouse on my desk.
Because I don't need that much screen real estate ,and also because it is tiring to get from the internal to external back and forth .I also prefer the simplicity of copying displays which I already do(basically both screen have the same content and aren't split up/down or right/left )
And also because believe it or not it's a way for me to cut costs ,returning both the rather expensive HDMI dongle as well as the monitor should pay for the difference between base 14 and base 16

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Because I don't need that much screen real estate ,and also because it is tiring to get from the internal to external back and forth .I also prefer the simplicity of copying displays which I already do(basically both screen have the same content and aren't split up/down or right/left )
And also because believe it or not it's a way for me to cut costs ,returning both the rather expensive HDMI dongle as well as the monitor should pay for the difference between base 14 and base 16
Funny how people think about returning goods. Do your research first and then buy is my philosophy. In Europe it also is a lot harder to return used goods. Also returned goods tend to result in a lot of wastage which is not very ecological.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Funny how people think about returning goods. Do your research first and then buy is my philosophy. In Europe it also is a lot harder to return used goods. Also returned goods tend to result in a lot of wastage which is not very ecological.
buyer remorse is bad indeed ,i agree with your philosophy but not always strong enough to adopt it

i disagree about the difficulty it represents in europe ,it depends upon the place u buy it from

as for the ecology ,its bad,cant deny it,especially since i carefully recycle everything .thanfully i rarely return stuff tho

Reactions: tmoerel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.