Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Thinking now is the time to upgrade my port-tastic Late 2013 15” MBP to the 2019 16” model. Has anyone done a similar upgrade? Until now I was quite happy with the ‘13 model but editing on Lightroom and Premiere has started to lag a bit, plus resell value keeps edging down.

Thanks in advance.

Self Mastered

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
if you really need ports, just get a usb c side hub. not those cable dangly ones, but a two port hub that connects on left or right side with port galore. also, when I read people complaining about dongles, it bogles my mind that people can't do a simple amazon search for these products. "blah blah blah, I shouldn't have to spend extra money blah blah blah"....well then go buy a razor blade.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Not so much the ports - I have a 12” MacBook and get by with very few ports needed. Was more about is it a worthy upgrade. I think I’d probably miss the SD reader but that’s easily fixed.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How much of that "lag" matter to you? Are you running a production-like environment where seconds or minutes can make the difference to your livelihood? Or is this more occasional work where saving a few seconds or minutes here and there on your workflow won't matter as much? If you in the former camp, then the choice is to upgrade to a level suitable to your P&L. If not - then keep with this machine until it stops doing what you want it to do.

Reactions: olisones

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
If not - then keep with this machine until it stops doing what you want it to do.

I’m not editing everyday, so it’s not mission critical. It is more that by upgrading now, I can sell the 2013 model for a fairly decent amount that will help towards the cost. I’m worried the deprecation will continue, so jumping now saves in the long run. Also, with a 512gb ssd getting quite full, I’m not sure trying to upgrade with an OEM SSD is worth the hassle for the $400 it might cost, when again that could be put toward a 16 inch model.

Alex W.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2020
Have a look at the new XPS 2020, as its a direct competitor to this, with a better screen.

Reactions: olisones

rhashem

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Thinking now is the time to upgrade my port-tastic Late 2013 15” MBP to the 2019 16” model. Has anyone done a similar upgrade? Until now I was quite happy with the ‘13 model but editing on Lightroom and Premiere has started to lag a bit, plus resell value keeps edging down.

Thanks in advance.

I just did the same upgrade. The 2019 16” is a beautiful piece of hardware, just a better version of the 2013 15”.
Catalina however is a total piece of crap, and on the 16” you have no choice but to use it. I’ve been on Mojave this whole time just because my laptop was pretty old, and man has Apple really fallen off a cliff since the OS X Tiger days. I’ve had six kernel panics in as many days. That’s more than the number of KPs I had in 14 years of using other MacBooks.

The hardware seems to be fine—it just apparently doesn’t like being connected to external monitors, thunderbolt docks, or waking up from sleep.

olisones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I just did the same upgrade. The 2019 16” is a beautiful piece of hardware, just a better version of the 2013 15”.
Catalina however is a total piece of crap, and on the 16” you have no choice but to use it. I’ve been on Mojave this whole time just because my laptop was pretty old, and man has Apple really fallen off a cliff since the OS X Tiger days. I’ve had six kernel panics in as many days. That’s more than the number of KPs I had in 14 years of using other MacBooks.

The hardware seems to be fine—it just apparently doesn’t like being connected to external monitors, thunderbolt docks, or waking up from sleep.

Good to know and slightly worrying! I’ve just upgraded to Catalina on the 2013 MBP. What was your upgrade decision based on? I’m thinking maybe I just throw in 1tb ssd (currently 512gb) and keep it going for another year - but then is that good money after bad?

rhashem

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
My upgrade decision was based on working from home a lot with COVID-19 and there was a good deal on Adorama. I figured after six months in the market the kinks would be worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.