Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raja454

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
HI Guys,

I purchased a Brand New MacBookPro 15Inch 2018 model in November 2018 at a local store in Hyderabad, India. As usual just like other apple products, i had to pay 1.5x times what it costs in the USA.

The laptop was used as a desktop replacement and hence never moved from its place on my workdesk. Also, i close the laptop lid/screen just once in 2 weeks apprx.

i started seeing a small gap between bottom and top of laptop (which kept increasing with time) when the lid was closed, around 4 months ago. I disregarded it as something to-do with my keyboard cover.

However 3 weeks ago, when the gap kept increasing even when i removed my keyboard cover i decided to inspect it closer and then i discovered the bottom part of the laptop was popping out.

I immediately took it to the store where i purchased it and they said the battery has bulged and i have to visit a service center. However, when i visited the service center they said i have to book an appointment online for service consultation at locate.apple.com or via the apple support app.

As of today im still trying to get an appointment for service consultation, as everytime i try to reserve an appointment it shows "NO SLOTS AVAILABLE CURRENTLY" ( https://www.screencast.com/t/UPOoSrR0ra8 )

Also, the service center guy who told me to book an appointment online told me that my laptop is out of warranty (expired nov 2019) and i have to bear the expenses for new parts.

The MBP might have started developing the issue well within warranty. i feel like i was sold a defective product and apple is not willing to lend its customer what its due.

Images of the MBP:

Attachments

• 20200617_181421.jpg
    20200617_181421.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200617_181454.jpg
    20200617_181454.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200617_181559.jpg
    20200617_181559.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 62

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you call Apple support directly in India?

In the USA, they will send you a prepaid shipping box.
You send them the MacBook, they fix it, and send it back.
Here, I believe a 2018 battery replacement might be covered free-of-charge.
Even if one has to pay, it's $199 (US) parts & labor. Not very much, really.

raja454

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Yes, i did spoke with Apple India customer care. They said they have recall program for laptops between 2015 and 2017. And that my laptop cant be fixed for Free.

So, i guess i have to keep this macbook just like a piece of trash until apple decides to announce a recall program for their 2018 macbooks if i decide not to spend any money for new battery.

Since i was unable to get a service appointment at an apple authorized center for 3 weeks, i called few non-apple-approved repair centers and they are asking for 25000 INR ( $330 ) for a new battery

Can you call Apple support directly in India?

In the USA, they will send you a prepaid shipping box.
You send them the MacBook, they fix it, and send it back.
Here, I believe a 2018 battery replacement might be covered free-of-charge.
Even if one has to pay, it's $199 (US) parts & labor. Not very much, really.

Last edited:

Demolished_Q

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
Karachi, Pakistan
My Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018 also has an expanded battery just like yours. Apparently, keeping it always connected to power results in the battery expanding like this (I too was using my Macbook as a desktop replacement). I feel your pain and agree that Apple should extend the warranty for expanded batteries. I'm sure they're very much aware of the problem as they have implemented the Battery Health Management feature in MacOS 10.15.5.

The Apple authorised service centre wants to charge an equivalent of > USD 700 to replace the battery and the top of the laptop (which includes the keyboard and trackpad) as the battery is glued to the top part of the laptop. My options are limited as I am based in Karachi, Pakistan, so the only feasible option for me is getting a private service centre replace the battery which will cost me around USD 150 (once they get an OEM battery in stock from China; supply lines are slow due to the pandemic).

I have read that some people have had success in getting 2018 Macbooks with expanded batteries fixed for free under the keyboard replacement program for the 2018 Macbook pros. They replace the entire top part of the laptop, so you get a new battery along with the keyboard; this is entirely dependent on the service centre though, so you can try your luck.

raja454

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.