Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
So, long story but a co-worker needs my Black Macbook so I can get it replaced and spend a little more. . .I was thinking of going right for the 17 inch but now I am not so sure. . .can you guys provide a little input. Here is how I will use it. . .:
1. On my desk. I currently have a large 20" LCD that I connect my Macbook to and could continue to use it.
2. Travel. I travel for work via plane every other week or so.
3. Used for Windows 60% of the time via parallels and an assortment of Windows apps.
4. On the Mac side I use ILife, Aperture, and Photoshop Elements.

Is the 17" too big given my travel schedule? How will it hold up with the regular travel and movement?

Thanks!
Adam

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
So, long story but a co-worker needs my Black Macbook so I can get it replaced and spend a little more. . .I was thinking of going right for the 17 inch but now I am not so sure. . .can you guys provide a little input. Here is how I will use it. . .:
1. On my desk. I currently have a large 20" LCD that I connect my Macbook to and could continue to use it.
2. Travel. I travel for work via plane every other week or so.
3. Used for Windows 60% of the time via parallels and an assortment of Windows apps.
4. On the Mac side I use ILife, Aperture, and Photoshop Elements.

Is the 17" too big given my travel schedule? How will it hold up with the regular travel and movement?

Thanks!
Adam

If you had posted this in the right forum, you'd have had 20 replies by now. Instead you get nagged by yours truly :D

Go with 15", since you you will be using it much of a time with your 20" monitor.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
this has been posted like 5 times in the past week or two...just search the forum and you will find very similar topics

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
If you had posted this in the right forum, you'd have had 20 replies by now. Instead you get nagged by yours truly :D

Go with 15", since you you will be using it much of a time with your 20" monitor.

I'd second both comments. You get a lighter machine that will fit in more laptop cases/bags. If you weren't going to have an external monitor most of the time, that would weigh the choice the other way (or if you really could use the fw 800 port).

cheers.

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
I have a 15-inch connected to a 20-inch Cinema Display at home and a 17-inch at work. Honestly, if portability is a huge factor in your life you'll probably prefer having the 15-inch. I just took my 17-inch on a flight and I can get it in my lap and all fine, but the 15 is just so much easier if you're taking your machine around a lot. Get the 17 only if you're doing a lot of graphics work or video editing and need the screen resolution, but for Office, Web/E-mail the 15 is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.