Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aggiebradley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
My MBP 15" (mid 2010) is in bad shape, but I was hoping to at least remove my files before finally getting rid of it.

However, when I try to turn it on, the MBP won't even start up! when I press the battery indicator all 5 lights flash. The Mag safe adapter is green indicating it is connected... so I am at a loss as to why it won't turn on even with being plugged in.

It is my understanding that the flashing indicator lights mean the battery needs to be replaced, but tbh my macbook isn't worth replacing the battery. (I took it to the apple store a few months back because the battery swelled and cracked my track pad... so needless to say I need to get a new one)

Can the Apple store get my information off the Harddrive??

As a side note, I have been reading about the external cases for your hard drive where you can completely remove your old Hard drive and insert it into this external case? could that be a route to gaining access to the files on the drive? by Connecting my old harddrive into my new mac?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
My MBP 15" (mid 2010) is in bad shape, but I was hoping to at least remove my files before finally getting rid of it.

However, when I try to turn it on, the MBP won't even start up! when I press the battery indicator all 5 lights flash. The Mag safe adapter is green indicating it is connected... so I am at a loss as to why it won't turn on even with being plugged in.

It is my understanding that the flashing indicator lights mean the battery needs to be replaced, but tbh my macbook isn't worth replacing the battery. (I took it to the apple store a few months back because the battery swelled and cracked my track pad... so needless to say I need to get a new one)

Can the Apple store get my information off the Harddrive??

As a side note, I have been reading about the external cases for your hard drive where you can completely remove your old Hard drive and insert it into this external case? could that be a route to gaining access to the files on the drive? by Connecting my old harddrive into my new mac?

Well if you left a swelling battery in there you have probably broken your motherboard now assuming it hasn't leaked out chemicals and destroyed the motherboard that way. Yes an eternal hard drive caddy should work fine you should be able to migrate over your data and apps using one.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-free-In...d=1486654568&sr=1-1&keywords=hard+drive+caddy

aggiebradley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Go to ifixit.com to see how to take out the hard drive.

I think you'll need a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6 driver.

The 2.5" hard drive can go into either an enclosure or a USB3/SATA docking station.
You could also use a USB3/SATA "adapter dongle".

Assuming that your boot problems are due to a failed battery, the hard drive may be OK, and "mount right up" on another desktop.

You should be able to mount it in the finder and "manually copy" what you need to another Mac.

IMPORTANT:
To avoid "permissions problems", I suggest you do this after connecting the drive to another Mac:
1. Click ONE time on the drive icon to select it
2. Type "command-i" (eye) to bring up the get info box
3. Click the lock icon (at the bottom) and enter your password
4. Now put a checkbox into the "ignore ownership on the volume" box (in sharing and permissions)
5. Close get info box.

Reactions: Sanpete

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

This is easy.

As another post mentioned iFixit has the instruction to get the back case off. Once you have the case off you can pull the drive quickly.

Amazon has a lot of USB 2.5 inch SATA enclosures available for $10-20. I suggest getting one with a USB-3 interface. Stick your old drive in there and when you get a new Mac, you connect the USB enclosure and you can see all your files.

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
Your computer should still boot even if the battery is bunk... but go ahead and remove the bottom plate, disconnect the battery, and try to boot again. Actually, even before that, have you done an SMC reset? Google that for your model, it's worth a try.

Your data is fine, you'll be able to easily get your files via above advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.