Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Looking for suggestions.

Running a 16" MBP since November, connected to a powered dock (+2 monitors) and a third external monitor, connected directly over USB-C. Clamshell has worked fine up until recently.

Problem 1

Since 10.15.4, including the Supplemental, I can't run clamshell at all. If I connect my stuff as normal and close the laptop, the external monitor screen resolution changes, and everything freezes except the cursor. I can still move it, but can't click on anything. If I wait long enough, it reboots.

On reboot (still in clamshell), I get the normal login screen, and I can mouse around, but can't click on anything, whether with a USB mouse connected directly or a Magic Trackpad2.

If I then open the laptop, I can click on things and log in.

If I leave it closed, after a few minutes it reboots. IF left alone, this cycle will repeat every few minutes.

If I put it to sleep or just leave it for an hour or so, I come back to find it's crashed and rebooted, to the login screen.

Also, my Bose Companion USB speakers keep disappearing. This was a problem a few years ago (something about apple and USB), but was fixed... until 15.4. Now, often, if there's a pause or silence, they'll quit outputting sound. I have to unplug and replug the USB to get them to produce sound again.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Bump. I installed the newest beta, hoping for a fix. No luck

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
You can always download macOS 10.15.3 and install it. I’m staying at 10.15.3 for a long time because of all the issues 10.15.4 is showing.

I know it sucks, but it is worse for iOS/iPadOS where you can’t downgrade the software version...

Report the issue to Apple and hopefully they will fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.