Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
I've been using the 16" MBP since launch but have used a Radtech keyboard protector over it. When I open it up, it looks like a decent amount of pressure is being applied to the cloth while the device is in a sleeve in my briefcase. I'm thinking of getting rid of it as I don't want to put pressure on the screen but also don't want to scratch it up.

Has anyone noticed marks from the keyboard onto their screen? Just curious, thank you.

YatBob

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana
I've been using the 16" MBP since launch but have used a Radtech keyboard protector over it. When I open it up, it looks like a decent amount of pressure is being applied to the cloth while the device is in a sleeve in my briefcase. I'm thinking of getting rid of it as I don't want to put pressure on the screen but also don't want to scratch it up.

Has anyone noticed marks from the keyboard onto their screen? Just curious, thank you.

To the contrary I find that my Radtech keyboard protector, the keyboard cover only type, slides, when I open the 16" MBP the protector is over the lower keyboard/trackpad and not the keyboard only where I placed it upon closing the machine

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
To the contrary I find that my Radtech keyboard protector, the keyboard cover only type, slides, when I open the 16" MBP the protector is over the lower keyboard/trackpad and not the keyboard only where I placed it upon closing the machine
Yeah, I've found mine slides on occasion too. The other day I noticed a perfect dust impression of the keyboard and looked like it may have been putting pressure on the screen.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Welcome to owning a MacBook Pro. Everyone I have had has had these marks. They wipe off easily, but are annoying in the right (wrong?) light.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
This is why I stopped using keyboard covers also. That and I didn't like the feel of using the keys with the protector on as well. I'd rather use and enjoy the notebook as intended.

Reactions: waquzy

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
Welcome to owning a MacBook Pro. Everyone I have had has had these marks. They wipe off easily, but are annoying in the right (wrong?) light.
Mine have always gotten these marks as well, but they can become permanent. I was just trying to avoid that as my 15" screen got a little scratched and they were permanent marks.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I put a thin microfiber cloth about the size of my keyboard inside when I close my MacBook. Solved the imprint problem.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
OP is not talking about a silicone keyboard cover made to use while typing, he's talking about a RadTech cloth. It also sounds like OP is NOT saying he has key marks, but rather can see dust impressions on the screen about the shape of the RadTech, indicating that the RadTech is putting pressure on the screen.

It is.

RadTech confirmed for me that with these laptops, the keys are depressed just a little when the display is closed because there isn't enough clearance. I wonder what that implies as far as pressure from the Touchbar as that is rigid.

I am using mine still, but have thought about not, at least when home.

I would definitely use it when transporting, but I may never do that and the laptop just sits on my desk 99% of the time with nothing on top of it - if I KNEW that the keys were not touching the screen, I would not use the RadTech while it's on the desk.

pneves1975

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal
Hello!

I had exactly the same problem with 13" PRO. With 15 I placed a moshi iVisor from day one because of this. Sometimes I see some marks from the keyboard. Yes its bad. We want to protect our machines since the investment was big. As for keyboard cloth I also got dust on screen, all cloth attracts dust anyway.

I would recommend a good screen protector, however moshi does not have for 16 inch yet.

reneholliday

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020

Yes, I have marks that are not coming off. The marks on the screen line up with the keys on the keyboard. The top of my screen has no marks, which happens to line up with the touchpad area. The marks are only on the screen where the keys are, bummer. :(

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004

This happens to me. My 16" was just delivered two weeks ago and I'm using the RadTech cloth. I can see an imprint of where the cloth was making contact with the screen.

I contacted RadTech and their advice wasn't too helpful, unfortunately. They said that I'm seeing an outline from the cloth because there is a thin film layer left on the screen from production, and that when the cloth makes contact with it the film smears. They advised that I should wash the cloth using hot water and soap and let it dry, and clean my screen with PAPER TOWEL!!! and isopropyl alcohol. Paper towel is highly abrasive, being a wood product, and I would never touch a screen with sensitive coatings with it. I was very disappointed with this advice.

I did use a clean microfibre cloth to clean my screen, however, and I also washed the RadTech cloth using hot water and soap. Unfortunately, the cloth is now extremely wrinkled (I might iron it), and the imprint from the cloth is still left on the screen after usage.

What did you decide to do in the end - are you still using the cloth, or have you given up on it?

I too want to protect my $6,000 CAD computer. Every MacBook Pro I've owned in the past have had marks on their screen in the end from the keyboards. I'm trying to avoid that as best as possible this time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.