Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Basim.a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
My Macbook Pro 16" battery has been draining completely overnight for couple of days now. Another issue I've noticed is when waking the laptop from sleep a random key is pressed and I hear "funky" sound continuously. I'll have to restart the system everytime. I dont think it's a keyboard issue because one time the key which was pressed was increase volume button for which there is no physical key.

See the attached Image. Around 00:00 I had full charge. I close the laptop and went to sleep around 01:00 AM , Around 06:00 AM battery was completely drained. No one used the laptop or opened it. See the Screen on Usage vs the Battery Level.

Anyone know what the issue is?

MacOS is updated (11.1), tried resetting PRAM too.

Attachments

• Battery usage.png
    Battery usage.png
    429.4 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Hm, do you think that it is possible that the macbook didnt slept during the night? And basicaly the battery went down? in power setting, you can select “power NAP” even when on battery. This basically means that the computer is doing stuff like indexing, backing up, etc during sleep...maybe you have selected the option and the computer did maintenance overnight

Basim.a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Hm, do you think that it is possible that the macbook didnt slept during the night? And basicaly the battery went down? in power setting, you can select “power NAP” even when on battery. This basically means that the computer is doing stuff like indexing, backing up, etc during sleep...maybe you have selected the option and the computer did maintenance overnight
"Power Nap" is on but would it drain 100% charged battery over 6 hours, while laptop's screen/lid was closed (screen off) ?

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Yes it could..turn it off and leave it selected only when on plug. From time to time keep your computer on power during night to perform the maintanance

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
My Macbook Pro 16" battery has been draining completely overnight for couple of days now. Another issue I've noticed is when waking the laptop from sleep a random key is pressed and I hear "funky" sound continuously. I'll have to restart the system everytime. I dont think it's a keyboard issue because one time the key which was pressed was increase volume button for which there is no physical key.

See the attached Image. Around 00:00 I had full charge. I close the laptop and went to sleep around 01:00 AM , Around 06:00 AM battery was completely drained. No one used the laptop or opened it. See the Screen on Usage vs the Battery Level.

Anyone know what the issue is?

MacOS is updated (11.1), tried resetting PRAM too.
I would suggest that you have something running that prevents it from sleeping.

Generally speaking this would otherwise be one of those situations where the problem suggests a resetting of PRAM/NVRAM and/or SMC.

Basim.a

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
I would suggest that you have something running that prevents it from sleeping.

Generally speaking this would otherwise be one of those situations where the problem suggests a resetting of PRAM/NVRAM and/or SMC.
I've tried resetting, but it didnt solve the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.