Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alsid02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
So I have been holding out for a year, and I think it is finally time for to me upgrade my 2014 MBP 13 following yesterday's announcement. The 16 inch model looks great, and I am planning to splurge £4300 on it, everything maxed out except the processor. My use case is predominantly development work, along with occasional gaming. One main concern for me is the high temperatures while using external display under no load. Are these issues exaggerated or is this a big deal breaker, as I will be mainly using a 4k display with this machine, also utilising the display of the laptop. I do not mind fan sound, but I am worried about damage to the hardware due to constant overheating under no load.

Also, am I too crazy to be going all out on this machine right now considering yesterday's announcement? I am happy if the support lasts 4-5 years which I think it will.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Id wait till new 16 inch now

OP decided it’s time to upgrade now. The Apple silicon based 16in MBP could take another 2 years to be released... or they could release it later this year. Food for thought.

Reactions: YaBoiD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.