Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Brand new MBP 16" had it's first kernel panic message.

The MBP had restarted overnight and battery was very low in the morning.

It is connected to a 27" Apple TB display via Apple's TB3-TB2 adapter dongle. Running it dual screen since day 1.

The back of the TB display has active connections to: Ethernet, 3 USB devices, FW 800 LaCie external HDD.

No other 3rd party devices connect to the MBP, except for the headphone jack which is used to connect my Bose speakers.

10.15.2 OS

Anyone know if this "Thunderbolt Power failure" message is due to hardware or software ?

Should I be worried ??

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 6.39.49 AM.png

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Brand new MBP 16" had it's first kernel panic message.

The MBP had restarted overnight and battery was very low in the morning.

It is connected to a 27" Apple TB display via Apple's TB3-TB2 adapter dongle. Running it dual screen since day 1.

The back of the TB display has active connections to: Ethernet, 3 USB devices, FW 800 LaCie external HDD.

No other 3rd party devices connect to the MBP, except for the headphone jack which is used to connect my Bose speakers.

10.15.2 OS

Anyone know if this "Thunderbolt Power failure" message is due to hardware or software ?

Should I be worried ??

View attachment 893025
You're running 10.15.1, not 10.15.2 or 10.15.3. I'd update to 10.15.3 and see if the error happens again.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Upgraded to 10.15.3 and got another crash restart with another problem report.

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff7f86d9dad5): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from com.apple.WindowServer in 120 seconds
service: com.apple.logd, total successful checkins since wake (130 seconds ago): 14, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago
service: com.apple.WindowServer, total successful checkins since wake (130 seconds ago): 2, last successful checkin: 120 seconds ago

Is this something I should worry about ???
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 7.23.57 AM.png

jgm_pt

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
Brand new MP16 and I also have the same issue.

Kernel error is not always the same but I also got those ones already.

10.15.2 and 10.15.3

Apple diagnostic found no issues.

Apple support continues to say that it is related to third-party software...

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Should I be worried ??

Yes. Steps I would take to start diagnosis:
Disconnect all peripherals (including extra screen) and see if the problem recurs.
If it does, reinstall clean macOS (no 3rd party software) and see if the problem recurs.
If it is still having these restarts - get Apple to fix it (=replace it).

Assuming it is not peripherals or 3rd party software, my not well informed guess would be faulty RAM - but that is not your problem as Apple will replace it if you can show the problem with clean system.

jgm_pt

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
Just an update from my side.

I did a clean install, no 3rd party software, and got another crash/reboot panic error a few hours later:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8011aa2d1c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74...]

I'll call support again to try a replacement or even a full refund...

Last edited:

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
How did you go on getting this fixed?

Apple support experience:
30 minutes on the phone having to explain this new MBP has an issue while my 8 year old 2012 MBP has zero issues.

She asked about software installed and hardware attached devices.

She said I needed to do this:
Reset SMC
Reset PRAM
Reinstall OS

She said I needed to do the first 2 (SMC & PRAM) using the T2 guide that she sent via email.
Then after doing that, watch to see if the computer crashes again.
It did this morning - was restarted with the same panic message.

Now I am a bit scared of doing a OS reinstall.

She sent this over to guide me on how to but I can not figure out if I am supposed to do 1, 2, or 3 in red below:
How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery
Learn how to use macOS Recovery to reinstall the Mac operating system on your built-in drive or an external drive.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery
macOS Recovery makes it easy to reinstall the Mac operating system, even if you need to erase your startup disk first. All you need is a connection to the Internet. If a wireless network is available, you can choose it from the Wi-Fi menu
yosemite-disconnected_icon-public.png
in the menu bar. This menu is also available in macOS Recovery.
Start up from macOS Recovery
To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Release the keys when you see an Apple logo, spinning globe, or other startup screen.
1. Command (⌘)-R
Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac (recommended).
2. Option-⌘-R
Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
3. Shift-Option-⌘-R

Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just an update from my side.

I did a clean install, no 3rd party software, and got another crash/reboot panic error a few hours later:

I'll call support again to try a replacement or even a full refund...
Did Apple diagnose your MBP ?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Looking at the Panic log in my system information - I found this article that seems to closely match what I am seeing according to a 9to5 article:

"Just as one glitch with the 2018 MacBook Pro gets resolved, another one appears, although so far only for a very limited number of users.

Some owners are reporting repeated kernel panics – as often as once or twice a day. The same issue has been experienced by a number of iMac Pro owners, with some clues suggesting it may be the fault of one component found only in these two machines …"

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/26/2018-macbook-pro-kernel-panics/

It apparently has to do with the T2 chip and not being able to handle an Apple T3 to T2 thunderbolt adapter, PowerNap, SecureBoot, removing 3rd party kernel extensions, etc...

Could this be my issue ??

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If its new just get it replaced by the sounds of it.

I'd probably do that too were I in that situation and exhausting apple's suggestions but still encountering the panic-related reboots.

But not sure how the replacement of a practically new machine is going to help if it's the T2 chip not liking Tb3-Tb2 adapters or power nap etc etc per list in the 9to5 mac piece. Except maybe as a matter of favorabie probabilities, i.e. assuming that the T2 chip issues are from random manufacturing events and also quite infrequent.

Seems like getting a replacement machine w/ same type of chip is a dice roll, even if the odds favor getting a well behaved chip.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Those crashes are likely caused by the crappy Navi drivers in macOS. All of this looks very familiar to the panics I get when using a RX 5700 XT in my Hackintosh. 10.15.4 might finally fix it all up.

metacollin

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Hey, just wanted to chime in. I'm running a 'HackPro' (Catalina 10.15.3 on a Super Micro X11DAi, dual Xeon Platinum 8260 CPUs, Radeon VII for the GPU) and I have been getting these exact panics in the exact manner as all the other people having this problem.

I think it is safe to say that the problem has nothing to do with the SMC T2 chip since, well, I don't have an SMC at all :).

I would also suspect AMD drivers. I wonder if it occurs on macs (real or otherwise) that only have intel video?

Reactions: kaans
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.