Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telaviv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
Currently working on a Late 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro.

An upgrade is overdue thanks to the butterfly keyboard revolution. May have to pass M1x again due to a top notch notch.

My main workload is coding and photo editing, so not super demanding stuff. I don't often use an external display, so a 15+ inch display is vital to me.

Given the above, is it a good idea to upgrade to MPB 16 inch i7 2019? Without an external display, will the fan be very disturbing?

Thanks a ton.

Mannaerts

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Belgium, Antwerp
Considering the event later today I would say to avoid the intel 16”. It runs hotter and an M1 MacBook Air/pro makes it look like a slouch. The notch wont be a problem as the leaked images show that it is integrated into the menu bar. I bet you won’t even notice it

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Yep, don't buy an Intel 16" right now unless you need to run Windows.
The new 16" will probably be the same price, and run much faster and cooler.

I have a 16" and it is a fine machine. But even without an external display, it gets hot.
And battery life is not very good.

telaviv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
Yep, don't buy an Intel 16" right now unless you need to run Windows.
The new 16" will probably be the same price, and run much faster and cooler.

I have a 16" and it is a fine machine. But even without an external display, it gets hot.
And battery life is not very good.
Thanks for first hand information. You're very right.

I thought it's tolerable without an external display. No?

I can get a refurbished 16 inch 2019 base model for ~$1700 without one year's official warranty.

You think it's a good deal?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
I would prefer a 14" MBP, the difference is not that much.
The only reason I would buy an Intel 16" right now is for running Windows or for the screen size being really needed. Or obviously if saving those $300-700 is important.

Yet, you will definitely have a very nice machine if you buy it.
It is plenty powerful and can cope with most things you throw at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.