Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtakias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
UK
I woke up today to find my 16” M1 MBP completely dead.

Wouldn’t power on and also wouldn’t charge as the magsafe connection would flash orange every few seconds.

Called Apple and confirmed it needs to be serviced. Since i had several past repairs i demanded to speak to a senior agent and was offered a free replacement with a brand new M3 MBP Space Black with 36GB of Ram even tho mine had 16GB.

Thank God for AppleCare+ !!!

However i find this completely absurd that the laptop would fail just like that?!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I woke up today to find my 16” M1 MBP completely dead.

Wouldn’t power on and also wouldn’t charge as the magsafe connection would flash orange every few seconds.

Called Apple and confirmed it needs to be serviced. Since i had several past repairs i demanded to speak to a senior agent and was offered a free replacement with a brand new M3 MBP Space Black with 36GB of Ram even tho mine had 16GB.

Thank God for AppleCare+ !!!

However i find this completely absurd that the laptop would fail just like that?!
Sometimes things are defective and that’s why we have warranties. It sounds like Apple resolved the problem in the best way possible.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Just wondering... did you have automatic software updates turned ON?

Also... do you know if you possibly had "pro motion" turned OFF?

I had a 2021 MBP 14" be rendered un-bootable during a system software update -- and this happened with automatic updates disabled. But I've read that having pro motion disabled during a system update COULD, in certain situations, result in "non-bootable" results.

In my case, it was still under warranty and the local Apple genius bar got it running again (although in the process I got "force-upgraded" from Monterey to Sonoma.

Apple did come through in your case, however!

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

dtakias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
UK
sounds like, despite the inconvenience, you've scored a real winner in new-for-old!
i wonder if :apple: would be as helpful if you didn't have AC+ … … 🧐
Definitely not as they approved the replacement without even taking it to service first

dtakias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
UK
OP:

Just wondering... did you have automatic software updates turned ON?

Also... do you know if you possibly had "pro motion" turned OFF?

I had a 2021 MBP 14" be rendered un-bootable during a system software update -- and this happened with automatic updates disabled. But I've read that having pro motion disabled during a system update COULD, in certain situations, result in "non-bootable" results.

In my case, it was still under warranty and the local Apple genius bar got it running again (although in the process I got "force-upgraded" from Monterey to Sonoma.

Apple did come through in your case, however!
AU were off. i do controlled updates.
I run the latest version of Monterey as I didn‘t like the new OS interface. I guess now I will be forced to it anyway on the M3 mbp

ProMotion was ON.

i am pretty sure the logic board failed as there are no signs of life at all. The machine was on battery and standby as I keep it every night.

• Wow

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Yes but the OP did have a warranty.
He did and it’s fortunate that he purchased it. No intent to argue with you @chfr. Just trying to express my agreement with OP.

In OP’s own words, “it’s completely absurd” that such a recent laptop would fail like that.

Have apple laptops gotten to the point where you have to pay a surcharge (Apple Care) for these laptops to operate for a reasonable time after purchase?

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Frankly, with what it costs to replace a screen these days, it seems foolish to me not to get AppleCare for pretty much any device with a screen. And this is doubly true when you are dealing with a device sporting an M-series chip because you can't just replace RAM or a HD or a video controller, you have to replace the entire SOC.

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
Nice, sounds like quite a win, provided you had a Time Machine/whatever you use backup :D.

Reactions: Sikh

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
He did and it’s fortunate that he purchased it. No intent to argue with you @chfr. Just trying to express my agreement with OP.

In OP’s own words, “it’s completely absurd” that such a recent laptop would fail like that.

Have apple laptops gotten to the point where you have to pay a surcharge (Apple Care) for these laptops to operate for a reasonable time after purchase?
C'mon, _think_. Do we all want to pay the cost for Apple to QA/QC every Mac to such a high level as to achieve zero failures? This OP whine is out of line. It is like FreakinEurokan said:
"&#$@ happens… even Rolls Royce has a service department.
Sounds like Apple handled it quite well."

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
It's built in, with a secure enclave, and so on, so noone can tamper with anyone's machine. AC+ is a must for these expensive machines.
Not really different than a logic board failure or any other issue that prevents a machine from booting. I've never had AC+, but IMO more important than an extended warranty is a backup that doesn't leave you stranded if your machine fails or you lose data. If you hook up your Mac in the same place everyday it's not hard to setup a Time Machine backup there (with USB-C it can be a single cable to your Mac for both power and backup). I've lost count how many times I've used mine to go back to an earlier revision of a file I messed up, or restore it to new Mac when needed. I've got clones and offsite backups too just in case, but the automatic hourly Time Machine backups are priceless.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Not really different than a logic board failure or any other issue that prevents a machine from booting. I've never had AC+, but IMO more important than an extended warranty is a backup that doesn't leave you stranded if your machine fails or you lose data. If you hook up your Mac in the same place everyday it's not hard to setup a Time Machine backup there (with USB-C it can be a single cable to your Mac for both power and backup). I've lost count how many times I've used mine to go back to an earlier revision of a file I messed up, or restore it to new Mac when needed. I've got clones and offsite backups too just in case, but the automatic hourly Time Machine backups are priceless.
It’s not the one or the other. AC+ is for replacing the machine, backups are for replacing the data.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Wow! This must be another case to get AC+. Just got my 16" M3 MBP and still on the fence re AC+.....
I feel it's worth it for the laptops. The Mac minis you might as well skip, and the AS iMacs seem a lot more solid than their intel predecessors so I feel those are a skip as well.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
It’s not the one or the other. AC+ is for replacing the machine, backups are for replacing the data.
Never said it was, just that I think a good backup is more important than Applecare if your computer dies. A computer without your data is worth the price of the computer. Your data without a computer is priceless, minus the cost of a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.