Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomimar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2019
Hi! I bought my brand new MBP 16 by the beginning of December and I am so happy with it. The screen is gorgeous, the keyboard and the speakers are magnificence and I don't have any of the issues regarding coil whine, pop sounds (fixed in the last MacOS update), ghosting or yellowish screen. Is a wonderful machine overall.

The only issue I can see is the battery. I've been using coconutBattery and the Design Capacity now is only 95.3% with 10 cycles. It only once reached 100% and most of the time it moves between 89% and 95.5% (one day was 88.7%). Also, when Im with 100% of the battery charged and using safari with 75% of the brightness the Activity Monitor says I have around 7 hours of battery, which seems not ok not without having any other app running. I also had another issue: overnight it drains 3-4% battery when closed and even when I removed the bluetooth wake up and similar options (and did a SMC and PVRAM reset because at the beginning was 10% in one night).

Should I return it and try with a new one? I used it with bootcamp a little bit for light gaming (gwent and doom 2016) and I don't know if that might be the reason for having these troubles.

My specs:
i9 2.3
32gb ram
5500M 8gb
1TB

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-12-21 a las 14.16.35.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-12-21 a las 14.16.35.png
    303.1 KB · Views: 439

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Just use the computer and don't obsess over battery numbers since they fluctuate all the time.

Battery number are based on indirect measurements of current flows. They are effect by a number of factors including temperature. Read this (or google) about Coulomb Counting which is often used with Li Ion batteries to estimate State of Charge (SOC).

obargy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Yeah try not to think too much of it. I have the exact same configuration as yours and I also have fluctuating battery capacity. Now I have 10 cycles and the reading varies from 95% to 100%. The reading really depends on how you use it. Maybe you could try a complete calibration and see what it gives:

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
On the other hand... mine is always charged to above the rated capacity. I think I'd be bugged by that low battery number. It's like you have a bad cell or two. I'm on 8938 mAh and 7 cycles.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
On the other hand... mine is always charged to above the rated capacity. I think I'd be bugged by that low battery number. It's like you have a bad cell or two. I'm on 8938 mAh and 7 cycles.

You mean some app is currently reporting an estimate of 8938 mAh. It will likely bounce around.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
OP's estimates just seem too low to be within rounding error IMO. A lot of people seem to be stuck in the 97-99% range on these new computers, which is also sort of annoying. But OP's values are just way too low. I'd put as many cycles as possible on it before the return period is up and see where that leaves you.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
You mean some app is currently reporting an estimate of 8938 mAh. It will likely bounce around.

It's been steady as a rock since around Nov. 25th, never more than a 10mAh swing either way. I've dealt with batteries of all kinds over the years and you do get a lemon once in a while.

tomimar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2019
OP's estimates just seem too low to be within rounding error IMO. A lot of people seem to be stuck in the 97-99% range on these new computers, which is also sort of annoying. But OP's values are just way too low. I'd put as many cycles as possible on it before the return period is up and see where that leaves you.

I think Im kinda obsess with the battery yeah but the numbers seems a little low. I have time until January 8 so I will see and give it more cycles. Thank you for all your answers.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
I wouldn't think too hard about it, but if it bothers you, go get it replaced. The odds of you running in to ANY problems are little. Millions of people are happy with their machines. Don't let a place where a collective of people having problems post, deter you.

Reactions: jerryk

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
in addition to the good comments above regarding NOT obsessing over your battery, it’s gonna be a year before these new macs are really stable - my 2017 is really stable today, was not in 2017. Just enjoy your machine and give Apple software time to catch up

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
You are going to return a laptop that's working great because of what a 3rd party battery app says instead of ACTUAL REAL WORLD usage? This is like spending thousands on a PC just to get the highest 3DMark score and never playing a single game on it.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
You are going to return a laptop that's working great because of what a 3rd party battery app says instead of ACTUAL REAL WORLD usage? This is like spending thousands on a PC just to get the highest 3DMark score and never playing a single game on it.
My battery was reading 100% until the first 2 cycles and then it is down to 97.7%. It does suck, but I am doing a recalibration per that ifixit.com article so I can get an accurate measurement. But I see what you are saying. Worst case, if the battery falls below 80% I can get it exchanged under Applecare+ terms.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019

I'm pretty sure all Coconut does is pull data readily available and provided by Apple in System Report.

khalitzy

macrumors regular
May 21, 2016
1584981581803.png

Here's mine, it never hit 100%, highest it's been was 99.7% and then it dropped to 96% for months and now 93-94%... how is yours now OP? this issue has had me obsessed too for the past months I've owned it :\.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
way back in time i bought the very first butterfly MBP.
the keyboard was very bad from the get go
the mac rumors forum said i must be doing something wrong with it
apple wanted $700 to replace the keyboard
there was a class action legal case that apple lost
i got my keyboard replaced free

you need to research some reset methods etc, they are well documented easy to do
maybe do the battery discharge thing
see if apple will exchange the battery

what if the battery starts a fire
i am VERY serious!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.