Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
I made another thread elseware about getting a MBP vs. MacPro. One big reason I might get the desktop is because I was worried the Laptop couldn't handle the beatings it would get from my normal use. I'm a Media Worker so during the day I edit, encode, burn, capture, edit music, etc. which are things that MBP does beautifully. Now take into account the amount of use it would encounter on a given day. Say 6 hours a day it would be on, most of the time doing something intensive but to be safe lets say 4 hours. How long could I possibly expect it to last under those conditions? Not to mention the heat it would generate. I am getting a loan for 5000 which will take me 3.5yrs to pay off from what I see. How long do you think this machine will last me? Keep in mind I use SD for my work so HD isn't an issue. The real problem here is my parents got this notion that when I got my loan I would be using it for school and that only. Thats a very dumb assumption to make considering they know the work I do on a daily basis. I would be using my laptop between Home and Work so the portable option wouldn't be used that much. I think the MacPro is the smarter buy because it seems it will last longer. Do you think the MBP could take this beating? Im waiting for the new C2D ones hopefully for the 12th but even still, can the laptop handle it?

-Kyle

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Do you need the mobility a lot?

I'd still recommend you get the Macpro for the kind of heavy lifting you are intending to do with it. Desktops are afterall more durable machines, and the current Mac Pro has a lot of juice to keep up with your work too.

YMMV :cool:

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
kylepro88 said:
I made another thread elseware about getting a MBP vs. MacPro. One big reason I might get the desktop is because I was worried the Laptop couldn't handle the beatings it would get from my normal use. I'm a Media Worker so during the day I edit, encode, burn, capture, edit music, etc. which are things that MBP does beautifully. Now take into account the amount of use it would encounter on a given day. Say 6 hours a day it would be on, most of the time doing something intensive but to be safe lets say 4 hours. How long could I possibly expect it to last under those conditions? Not to mention the heat it would generate. I am getting a loan for 5000 which will take me 3.5yrs to pay off from what I see. How long do you think this machine will last me? Keep in mind I use SD for my work so HD isn't an issue. The real problem here is my parents got this notion that when I got my loan I would be using it for school and that only. Thats a very dumb assumption to make considering they know the work I do on a daily basis. I would be using my laptop between Home and Work so the portable option wouldn't be used that much. I think the MacPro is the smarter buy because it seems it will last longer. Do you think the MBP could take this beating? Im waiting for the new C2D ones hopefully for the 12th but even still, can the laptop handle it?

-Kyle

MacPro is a real pro machine and it will last longer than MBP; you can always upgrade components when you need. However, if you need portability the only choice is MBP;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.