Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimtron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I've been having trouble reading SD cards with my Macbook Pro (15", 2019, MacOS 11.4). It doesn't have a built-in card reader, so I use a USB-C hub with card slot, and also a USB SD card reader, which I use with a USB adapter.

I've had intermittent problems for a long time, where SD cards sometimes wouldn't mount, but lately it's gotten worse; neither reading device has been working, even after re-starting computer, etc. If I connect my camera to Macbook with SD card inside camera, it always works. But I'd prefer to transfer from card without camera.

Has anyone heard of issues with '19 MBP and SD cards? Any recommended card readers or USB-C hubs with card slots?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Might be time for a new card reader.
I'd look for one with a USBc connector.

I have at least one SD card that can be "flaky" with my card reader.
Sometimes it mounts on the desktop, other times I get a msg stating the card is unreadable, do I wish to erase or eject?

I've found that being a little more careful about how I insert the card into the reader helps with this. Insert it being mindful that the contacts are on the bottom edge, and apply "a little pressure downwards" to ensure that all the contacts (on the card) engage with those on the reader.

Just my own experience...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.