Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPCGod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2018
Germany
Hey guys! I have a problem with my 2006 MacBook pro.
I installed Windows 7 64 bit on it and all drivers.
Keyboard, trackpad, sound, everything works, but I don't have graphic drivers.

I don't like this stetched image.

I already tried to install the official AMD Drivers for the Radeon X1600, but it won't work. I even tried to run the installer with Vista compatibility. But the installer freezes.

These are the drivers I tried to install: http://support.amd.com/de-de/download/desktop/legacy?product=Legacy1&os=Windows Vista - 64

All other drivers for the Keyboard etc. are with Boot Camp 4.0.4033
(https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1630?viewlocale=de_DE&locale=de_DE)

I tried to install Boot Camp 3 drivers, but I can't find Boot Camp 3.0 anywhere and I don't have an OS X 10.6 Disc. And you can't download 3.0 anywhere.

I even searched for a Boot Camp 3.0 torrent, but without luck

This is the MBP I own: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.16-15-specs.html

I bought this to run as a cheap and good Windows machine, but I can't enjoy it without graphic drivers.

I hope someone can help me. :)

PowerPCGod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2018
Germany
Okay, somehow I managed to install the graphic drivers after hours of trying. I just extracted Boot Camp 3.0 from a Snow Leopard image in Lion, moved it over to Windows, installed it, installed Boot Camp 4 again and after a restard it worked. Thats pretty crazy.

Im happy now ^-^

Reactions: Steve Adams

Rein-musicman

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2021
I'm running the latest Windows 10 on my MBP 2006 15" alongside with OSX 10.8.6.
Driver as previous post.
One issue: I have to disable transparency (fka Aero) in Windows.
It runs a bit hot, but still amazing for a 15 year old laptop.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I thought my 2012 was old... ? Maybe I can't use that as an excuse for a new computer. ?

You should wait is if you use audio software DAWs! The plugins work with some (see the M1 forum) some don’t! The diegerencebis the a punt of RAM you want on a the M1 chip8 is just web browsing. If you planing to make money on it the get the 16 version (the RAM is on the Chip)

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I'm running the latest Windows 10 on my MBP 2006 15" alongside with OSX 10.8.6.
Driver as previous post.
One issue: I have to disable transparency (fka Aero) in Windows.
It runs a bit hot, but still amazing for a 15 year old laptop.
that's the beauty of windows. I have the latest version of windows 10 on my 2007 acer 7720. Runs fine. There are some slow downs when I am running certain programs but it's not horrible. I can still convert my DV tapes to Digital via firewire with it and that's all that matters. I am going to try to find 8gb of ddr2 if it's available for it. It already has a OCZ ssd, and a 750gb drive. I am going to replace the processor with a faster one from the era. I think I have a p5750 and i am going to a p7200 I think....the numbers may be wrong but it's something similar to them. Ha ha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.