Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hey everyone

So normally I lurk around the PPC/68k part of the forum, but a friend approached me with an issue he was having with an intel based 2012-2013 Macbook Pro. The 1tb internal HD had died, which I thought would be an easy fix. However it's been anything but easy. Now this is the first time I've experienced the Apple internet recovery system, at first I was having serious problems getting it to restore to the SSD I had installed. It would reboot and refuse to boot from the drive.

Finally I found a 1tb mechanical drive the MBP seemed to get along with, managed to get Yosemite to install without issue, but not matter how i try, it does not like it when I restore Catalina to the hd. I'm experiencing lock up, where the cursor will just spins but I can't click on any icons. In the end I had to hold down the power and reboot, after which it refused to boot from the HD and I again was back running recovery.

Is this normal? I've been pulling my hair out for 2-3 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.