Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greybaron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Hello, I have a very concerning issue with my Mac at the moment. It is a MacBook Pro 2015 13". Yesterday, I shut macOS down properly. Today I tried to power on the machine, and the power on chime sound played completely one time, and from there on looped the second half of the sound infinitely at about 1 repetition every 3 seconds and the display backlight was on. I already tried resetting the SMC, which changed nothing, tried resetting the PRAM which started looping the chime and finally I held down the option key to show the boot option, but that also hangs.

As the hang occurs before the OS is even started, I don't think it is related to the installed software.

what should I do now? The MacBook was bought in Switzerland as far as I know and I live in Germany. Is there anything I could try or should I consider taking it to an AASP?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you boot to Diagnostics? I suspect that won't work, either.
And, likely that you have a failure on the logic board, and may be a RAM problem. Unfortunately, you can't do anything about that, like you could with older Macs (reseating RAM sticks, or trying different RAM, etc)

Take in to an AASP, or Apple store if you have one close to you.
The country where you purchased does not matter for the world-wide warranty.
I think most of Europe you would have 2 years of standard warranty, which would replace parts that fail due to defect, but you would have to ask about that, too.

greybaron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Alright, thanks for the response. No, the Diagnostics don't work either.

Now I have a new problem - I do not have a proof of purchase for the MacBook and as I could have bought it over 2 years ago, how could I prove that I bought it in the last two years? I don't want to pay the repair because Apple would probably charge 600€ and as I'm a student I'm always tight with money.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
An Apple store should test your MBPro at no charge (in most places, anyway) and tell you how much the repair, if needed, might cost, so you don't have to guess.
AND, you can also, either at an AASP or Apple store, ask about the flat-rate repair, where the store ships your laptop off to a central repair depot, who for the flat fee will replace whatever is needed. It's not 600 Euro, but is not available everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.