Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geetfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Got my MBP 2017 back today from Apple. Save for a minor issue, it went pretty smoothly. Given some users have mentioned that getting their top case replaced didn't fix the issue and that the issue ultimately returned a few months later, I'm curious whether Apple has made improvements in their replacement parts.

I just checked my computer and noticed with the top case replacement:

• Brand new battery (cycle count of 1)
  • Battery was manufactured some time in January 2018

This leads me to believe that the top case was manufactured at that time as well.

So my question is this: When was your top case manufactured and has it failed?

In case anyone is wondering, yes the keyboard is working buttery smooth again. And all the keys are functional (yay!)
--

Addendum: I used Coconut battery to figure out my battery's manufacture date.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
I'm already on my 2nd top replacement, first one failed because of left speakers, 2nd one had some sticky keys.
I hope they "fixed" somehow these new ones.

BTW mine is dated March 2018 and it was replace 2 days ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 23.41.56.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 23.41.56.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 368

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I'm already on my 2nd top replacement, first one failed because of left speakers, 2nd one had some sticky keys.

Same feel when you type?

geetfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
I agree. The replacement top case keyboard definitely has a softer feel, and less noisy. Fingers crossed it's a revised (upgraded and improved) design.

DeanPSN - were the previous 2 replacements that is now replaced again older top cases (pre 2018)?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I agree. The replacement top case keyboard definitely has a softer feel, and less noisy. Fingers crossed it's a revised (upgraded and improved) design.

DeanPSN - were the previous 2 replacements that is now replaced again older top cases (pre 2018)?

I am a bit confused. DeanPSN mentioned that the keys are more rigid but you mentioned that the keyboard has a softer feel?

Can anybody get an accurate measurements on the height of the keys and the force required to register keystrokes among keyboard dated March 2018 and those made before?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Had mine replaced last month, feels exactly the same as it did... Only difference was a couple of keys had different graphics (2017 vs. 2016). Otherwise same keyboard, same feel, same travel, same everything... Don't get the 'feeling different' thing I hear other than confirmation bias.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2017

Do the replacement of speakers require a top case replacement?

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland

Yes, they were pre 2018, the first and original one was dated August 2017, 2nd was dated September.
[doublepost=1527664108][/doublepost]
Had mine replaced last month, feels exactly the same as it did... Only difference was a couple of keys had different graphics (2017 vs. 2016). Otherwise same keyboard, same feel, same travel, same everything... Don't get the 'feeling different' thing I hear other than confirmation bias.

Can you take a screenshot with CoconutBattery to see when was yours manufactured?
It definitely feels different than first 2 ones...
[doublepost=1527664236][/doublepost]
Do the replacement of speakers require a top case replacement?

Yes, had the entire top replaced when my left speakers blew :))

Reactions: Sebastian79

geetfun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
I am a bit confused. DeanPSN mentioned that the keys are more rigid but you mentioned that the keyboard has a softer feel?

Yup, sorry. I meant "less softer". My senile mind left out of the word "less". Typing on the replacement right now and trying to recollect how the previous felt, I'd still say it's less clicky and loud.

Again, this is so very unscientific and YMMV. Fingers crossed there was a revision underneath this that will lead to improved reliability.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Yup, sorry. I meant "less softer". My senile mind left out of the word "less". Typing on the replacement right now and trying to recollect how the previous felt, I'd still say it's less clicky and loud.

Again, this is so very unscientific and YMMV. Fingers crossed there was a revision underneath this that will lead to improved reliability.

Exactly, maybe i also didn't use the right word to describe it "rigid", but it definitely feels different, i don't know how to put it in words, but it almost feels like there is a thin layer of rubber or something underneath and they are less noisy and has a different feel when pressed.
One thing i know for sure, its definitely not like the previous 2 ones that were replaced.

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
I think you guys are right! If it's not an actual revision this means the keyboard is more solid and tight because it's new. Mine has march 8th 2018 as the manufacture date. It was replaced yesterday by Apple under applecare after kybrd ;) issues.

Definitely feels better now. I'm also glad I've got a new battery now :) The other one (original) was just 9 months old and had 90 cycles but definitely lost some noticeable juice.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
I can assure you it feels different.
I had 2 new replacements before this last one that is also dated 8th March and they felt more noisy and clicky than the new one.

Reactions: OSX15

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
I can assure you it feels different.
I had 2 new replacements before this last one that is also dated 8th March and they felt more noisy and clicky than the new one.

You are right about the sound. It does seem quieter when typing. Normally I wouldn't believe things like this when I read them here and attribute them to some weird placebo effect.. however it really does feel and sound different. I hope we can get a confirmation about this being a revision or not.

Reactions: DeanPSN

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
You are right about the sound. It does seem quieter when typing. Normally I wouldn't believe things like this when I read them here and attribute them to some weird placebo effect.. however it really does feel and sound different. I hope we can get a confirmation about this being a revision or not.

I hope so too, i thought was placebo also, but the first 2 top replacements i had felt and sound the same, this one was replaced very quickly and when i got it back i noticed right away it is different.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Yes, they were pre 2018, the first and original one was dated August 2017, 2nd was dated September.
[doublepost=1527664108][/doublepost]

Can you take a screenshot with CoconutBattery to see when was yours manufactured?
It definitely feels different than first 2 ones...
[doublepost=1527664236][/doublepost]

Yes, had the entire top replaced when my left speakers blew :))

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 15.06.10.jpg

Here you go. Was replaced a couple of months ago.

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
So this just confirms for me that we will see the new mbp’s here in June. No need to wait when they’ve already taken care of the keyboard problem.

tadziak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
So then it explains why you see no difference, i had 2x 2017 replacements and they were the same, this last one that is dated 8th March 2018 it feels different. The other user that confirmed his replacement feels different is also a 2018.

I own to 2017 Macbook Pros. Both had top case replaced. One in February (coconut says battery is 172 days old) and one 2 weeks ago. To me both keyboards seem a bit nicer to write, keys are less loose, rattly. However the replacement from February feels a bit better than the newest one ;)

Right now I'm wondering if there is any chance that the problem is fixed in the current topcases, is there anybody who had theirs replaced within last 3-4 months and the problems came back?

I actually have one of those Mac's completely replaced by Apple and I wonder, if it's more likely that the replaced keyboard will fail again or the one in the brand new machine...

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
I don't know honestly, but if will fail again, i will wait for the 2018 model to be released and request a replacement for the newer model.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't think the date of manufacture means much, if anything at all.

It's a bad design, period.

The only way to really "fix it" is to start using a different design.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland

The "bad design" you talking about, is here to stay, so no chance they will give up on it.
We will see a V3 of it and so on until they sort the issues, but they won't give up on it.
I personally like the new design, keys are larger.

The manufacturing date means something, more recent ones can be revised versions that they will use for the 2018 model, because i don't think they will release the MBP 2018 with same flaws.

Just my opinion, and yeah, the last replacement feels different than the previous ones and even if will fail again, i will have the MBP replaced after the 2018 model is released.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
The "bad design" you talking about, is here to stay, so no chance they will give up on it.
We will see a V3 of it and so on until they sort the issues, but they won't give up on it.
I personally like the new design, keys are larger.

The manufacturing date means something, more recent ones can be revised versions that they will use for the 2018 model, because i don't think they will release the MBP 2018 with same flaws.

Just my opinion, and yeah, the last replacement feels different than the previous ones and even if will fail again, i will have the MBP replaced after the 2018 model is released.
Really hoping this is the case.i checked the serial number on the 2017 13” MBP I purchased during Best Buy’s Memorial Day sale (for $350 off list price). The manufacture date is the week of April 18th, so it should include the revised top case design. I’m still not opening it, however, until after the WWDC keynote, just in case Apple announces new MBPs at lower prices.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016

It takes "courage" to keep selling this lemon and pretend like nothing is wrong with it.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I don't think you can read too much into changes in feel/sound. I could say the same thing of two 2016 nTBs I had at the same time in Dec of 2016 - the one I personally bought was softer/quieter, the work provided one was firmer and louder. They were bought within weeks of each other.

Same thing with two late 2014 13" MBPs - my ex and I had identical models at the time, the keys on mine were considerably looser feeling. I had to use hers for several days while mine was in the shop and it took a couple hours to adjust to the difference in force before I stopped having missed keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.