Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barcode00

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
The screen on my MBP 2016 (with touchbar) has failed completely after progressively getting worse ("stage light" problem).

However, now I am having trouble even connecting it to an external display via HDMI USB-C adaptor.

Since the screen failed completely, I was (briefly) able to get it connected to another display, but now it seems even this does not work. The touchbar also does not illuminate, nor does the keyboard backlight work.

I know there is power, because I am able to turn it on and have the trackpad click, and stop clicking when I hold the power button down.

I have tried different HDMI cables, but I have not yet tried a new adaptor. If it were the adaptor, how would this explain the touchbar and keyboard backlight not illuminating?

Thanks for any advice.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I doubt a different adapter would work. Sounds to me like it's more than just the screen that failed, likely the logic board is bad or the Mac isn't fully booting up anymore.

Just because the trackpad is clicking doesn't mean the rest of the computer is working or outputting video. My trackpad is able to click the second I turn on my Mac, before anything has booted up yet (keyboard, Touch Bar, and displays are still off).

Reactions: barcode00

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
The screen on my MBP 2016 (with touchbar) has failed completely after progressively getting worse ("stage light" problem).

However, now I am having trouble even connecting it to an external display via HDMI USB-C adaptor.

Since the screen failed completely, I was (briefly) able to get it connected to another display, but now it seems even this does not work. The touchbar also does not illuminate, nor does the keyboard backlight work.

I know there is power, because I am able to turn it on and have the trackpad click, and stop clicking when I hold the power button down.

I have tried different HDMI cables, but I have not yet tried a new adaptor. If it were the adaptor, how would this explain the touchbar and keyboard backlight not illuminating?

Thanks for any advice.
Sometimes it just go to the recovery screen (if you turned it off in the login window). While in recovery the external adapter won't work.
Try to force it off, close the lid and then open it just a few degrees, the necessary to peek the display. If you get lucky maybe it works at that angle and you can exit the recovery screen and go to the login.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Sometimes it just go to the recovery screen (if you turned it off in the login window). While in recovery the external adapter won't work.
Try to force it off, close the lid and then open it just a few degrees, the necessary to peek the display. If you get lucky maybe it works at that angle and you can exit the recovery screen and go to the login.
That's a good point! I forgot about that. The keyboard backlight doesn't turn on when in Recovery either, but the 'esc' key should show in the Touch Bar though...at least it does on mine when I just tried it. (The 'esc' key doesn't do anything.)

OP, this might be one way to see if you happen to be in Recovery...do you see the 'esc' key in the Touch Bar after waiting a few minutes? If you do, another way to get out of Recovery is to reset NVRAM. Power off, power back on, and immediately hold Option-Command-P-R for 20 seconds or so. It wouldn't hurt to try this either way.

Last edited:

barcode00

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I have now managed to get it to connect to an external display!

I wasn't able to get the screen to work again regardless of the position of the lid. However, I booted into recovery mode with my external monitor connected (held down Cmd + R), waited a few seconds and then closed the lid. The external monitor then became the main display and ouputted the Mac bootup screen. (Prior to booting into recovery mode, I reset the NVRAM. I'm not sure which one made the difference.)

So I'm not sure what ultimately caused it to stop outputting to my display and needed a reset...

Last edited:
Reactions: diego.caraballo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.