Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forgotit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2024
I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro 2017. It shows question mark and the url "support.apple.com/mac/startup" on startup.

I've done PRAM, NVRAM reset.

This is what I've tried so far, about 7 times each:

1) Option-D: choose network, select language, run diagnostics, the result is "No issues found", ADP000.

2) Command-R: choose network, start internet recovery, reinstall macOS, offers macOS Sierra, then asks "select the disk where you want to install" but no disk is displayed.

3) Command-R: choose network, start internet recovery, disk utility, first aid, everything looks good, "Operation successful".

4) Command-R: choose network, restore from time machine backup, select external drive ok, but when it says "Select a Destination" it doesn't show the internal drive.

5) Made a bootable USB memory stick with some old version of macOS that this computer should be able to run. Held Option key while booting. It didn't show the USB memory stick.

Items 2 and 4 make me think the internal drive is broken. But then item 1 says "No issues found" after hardware check and item 3 says "Operation successful" after first aid and the 500 G SSD appears on the left so I could select it.

Has anyone had this happen?

I hope my question makes sense, thank you for any help. I just got an M3 Pro but it would be nice to keep this old computer running as well and thank God for Time Machine - managed to copy everything important to the new machine.

My first thought was to just replace the internal drive but the behavior I'm seeing is confusing.

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The "question mark at boot" means the Mac can't find a valid system folder from which to boot.

It could be a software problem with the System Folder,
or...
It could be a problem with the internal drive itself.

You tried all kinds of "remedies", but there's a VERY IMPORTANT one that you DID NOT try:
Internet recovery.

Do this:
1. Make sure the Mac is all the way off (if necessary, hold down the power-on button for about 8 seconds to force it to shut down)
2. Press AND HOLD DOWN the following key combo:
Command-OPTION-R
3. Press and release the power-on button while STILL HOLDING DOWN those keys.
DON'T LET GO OF THEM!
4. You will get asked for your wifi password. Now is the time to let go of the keys, and enter it.
5. You should see "the spinning globe" while the internet utilities load. Be patient.

Can you get to the internet utilities this way?
If you CAN, continue as below.
If you CANNOT, then it might be time to consider a replacement Mac. I don't think Apple will work on these any more. And the cost would be prohibitive.

From the internet utilities...
a. Open disk utility.
b. VERY IMPORTANT STEP -- go to the "view" menu and choose "show all devices".
c. Look at "the list on the left". The topmost item should be the internal SSD. Do you see it?
d. If you see the internal drive, try clicking ONE time on it, then click "first aid".
Do you get "a good report"?
e. If you do, click each successive "line" down, and repeat the first aid routine.
f. What kind of results do you get?

If the physical drive (and logical volumes) check ok, then it's time to consider that the problems lie in the system folder. A system software re-install may be in order.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your 2017, 15-inch McBook Pro has a replaceable SSD. It is NOT soldered in place.
If the software doesn't help (and still shows no destination for the install), then it's likely the SSD will need to be replaced.

edit--Yes, that's wrong, usually careful about offering info, and my "brain" took me to 2015 MBPro, which was still replaceable, but just wrong info. Gonna leave it wrong, as following posts fix that

Last edited:

Jhonjhon236

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Your 2017, 15-inch McBook Pro has a replaceable SSD. It is NOT soldered in place.
If the software doesn't help (and still shows no destination for the install), then it's likely the SSD will need to be replaced.
Wrong

Attachments

• IMG_4915.jpeg
    IMG_4915.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 20

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The touchbar models have the SSD integrated on the logic board. If the SSD is no longer recognized you can still boot this Mac from an external disk and use it as a stationary Mac. The SSD cannot be replaced.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.