Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iheardthedrums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
Hello! I just recently purchased a macbook pro 2017 w/o touch bar a few days ago. Since the "time remaining" battery feature is gone, I use activity monitor to track how many hours I have left.

When I checked, it said I has 3 hours left. My battery was at 90%. Is there something wrong with my laptop? How do I fix this?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello! I just recently purchased a macbook pro 2017 w/o touch bar a few days ago. Since the "time remaining" battery feature is gone, I use activity monitor to track how many hours I have left.

When I checked, it said I has 3 hours left. My battery was at 90%. Is there something wrong with my laptop? How do I fix this?

Post the activity monitor data and take a look at what is eating your battery does that seem reasonable? , if you just migrated a load of data or updated the OS it could well be spotlight indexing using a lot of energy and resources.

Reactions: ZapNZs

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Instead of worrying about battery usage estimations, get out a stopwatch and time how long it takes to run the battery dry.

Agreed!

To elaborate on what PBG4 Dude noted, run time estimations are just that. Further, if the system is temporarily under a heavier load, then obviously the run time estimate will change accordingly - and would be less accurate given the higher energy consumption is just temporary.

Consequently, one needs to actually time their system. If they want to be really anal, they should note what activities they are performing, what tasks are running in the background, and what their screen brightness settings are.

The time changes based on your usage...

Agreed!

Post the activity monitor data and take a look at what is eating your battery does that seem reasonable? , if you just migrated a load of data or updated the OS it could well be spotlight indexing using a lot of energy and resources.

Agreed!

We need to know more about the usage.

iheardthedrums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
Instead of worrying about battery usage estimations, get out a stopwatch and time how long it takes to run the battery dry.
Thanks! I'll definitely try this out!
[doublepost=1510061019][/doublepost]
I did just recently updated to High Sierra, so it's probably the spotlight indexing that's consuming a lot of energy.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks! I'll definitely try this out!
[doublepost=1510061019][/doublepost]
I did just recently updated to High Sierra, so it's probably the spotlight indexing that's consuming a lot of energy.

Cool, leave it a couple of days to sort itself out and see how it goes.

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina

I think that customers like you are precisely WHY the time estimate is gone from the menu bar icon :)

The estimate is just that, an estimate based on current usage. It can go from 1 hour left when running hard, to 8 hours left 15 minutes later because it's just idling. It would be much better if you timed your battery as you use your computer normally. That will give you a true capacity for YOUR use case.

iheardthedrums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
I decided to really wait it out. Luckily, the battery is now working as advertised! Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think iStat Menus may give you battery information that can be displayed on the menu bar. Take a look at that, and see if gives you what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.