Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stellerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Hi all, I am in the market for a new computer for college. I am going to be studying overseas and will be traveling a fair bit so I definitely don't want to be sporting a 15 inch MBP. I am going to be studying sciences and will need the computer for essays, excel sheets, email, Netlfix, and youtube. I will also need a good screen to load images from wells from labs I do. Given these standards, I gravitate towards the 12 MB (portability, great screen, and good for basic computing needs), but the catch is that I'm also a musician. I use Logic pretty often, though during the school year, my use of the program dies down considerably (from maybe 30% of my computer use to 10% of my computer use.) With this said, what computer do you think is best for me? I want to make a long time investment, I don't want to be buying a new computer in two years. My current computer is a:

mid2013 Macbook Air 13", 128gb ssd, 8gb memory, and intel dual core i7

I currently run Logic OK. I've had problems where the program crashes and AU units and plug ins are not the best.

I am looking for a new computer because I don't want to go to school and have my 4 year old computer die on me and for me have to pay through the bum over seas where the cost of a macbook is MUCH higher than over here in the US.

With all of this above, what computer is best for me for a four-five year investment? I am looking for the most cost effective, so I am truly trying to spend less than $1400-$1500 TOPS. I don't think I'll be needing something like 16gb memory and some quad core i7 but I want input from people who have practice with these devises. Your input is greatly appreciated!
[doublepost=1502475702][/doublepost]
Hi all, I am in the market for a new computer for college. I am going to be studying overseas and will be traveling a fair bit so I definitely don't want to be sporting a 15 inch MBP. I am going to be studying sciences and will need the computer for essays, excel sheets, email, Netlfix, and youtube. I will also need a good screen to load images from wells from labs I do. Given these standards, I gravitate towards the 12 MB (portability, great screen, and good for basic computing needs), but the catch is that I'm also a musician. I use Logic pretty often, though during the school year, my use of the program dies down considerably (from maybe 30% of my computer use to 10% of my computer use.) With this said, what computer do you think is best for me? I want to make a long time investment, I don't want to be buying a new computer in two years. My current computer is a:

mid2013 Macbook Air 13", 128gb ssd, 8gb memory, and intel dual core i7

I currently run Logic OK. I've had problems where the program crashes and AU units and plug ins are not the best.

I am looking for a new computer because I don't want to go to school and have my 4 year old computer die on me and for me have to pay through the bum over seas where the cost of a macbook is MUCH higher than over here in the US.

With all of this above, what computer is best for me for a four-five year investment? I am looking for the most cost effective, so I am truly trying to spend less than $1400-$1500 TOPS. I don't think I'll be needing something like 16gb memory and some quad core i7 but I want input from people who have practice with these devises. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Also forgot to add, I LOVE to play skyrim on my current computer so toss that into the mix too! I play on low settings and things work just fine (though I have noticed a slow fps lately... maybe because my computer is dying on me?)

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
  • Do you use any audio equipment that uses FireWire? (If so, the MacBook Pro is absolutely the better choice.)
  • Is getting every minute of battery life (favor to the nTB MBP), or having every bit of portability (favor to the rMB) more important?
  • Do you use many external devices? - and will you want to use extremely fast external SSDs in the future?
  • Do you use or plan to use more than one external display?
  • Have you determined why your current MBA is having issues with your workload? - limiting down the cause of your issue could help make the best decision as to which system with which specs is right for you
    • Does Activity Monitor's Memory Pressure show that you are running out of memory causing the program to crash? (if so, you want 16 GB RAM)
    • Is your SSD nearly full? (this can cause all sorts of problems - if so, you want a 256 or, preferably, 512 SSD)
    • Are you pegging the CPU to 100%? (if so, there is a much bigger performance difference between the nTB's i5 and your MBA's i7 or the MB's m3 than there is between your MBA's i7 and the MB's m3 - if your current CPU meets your needs, then this may not be very significant. But, if your current CPU does not meet your needs, the MBP's 2.4 GHz i5 is a very significant step up.)
    • Have you tried reinstalling OS X + Logic and seeing if this fixes the issue? (if this is a problem with software and a reinstall fixes the issue, then presumably either the rMB or MBP will easily meet your school/work/music needs [I can't speak to gaming], plus you would not have to upgrade immediately if you wanted to wait until the financials become more favorable)
    • Have you ran Apple Diagnostics or gone to an Apple Store to have them run a diagnostic to check for hardware failure? (if so, then again we can assume that either model will meet those school/work/music needs.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Graham Perks

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
you don't want to be using Logic on a MacBook. It will start throttling the CPU to deal with the heat of a constant load from plugins.

pick up the best refurb you can afford. 16GB/256 SSD or 8/512 depending on your storage needs

ChinkyBob

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
you don't want to be using Logic on a MacBook. It will start throttling the CPU to deal with the heat of a constant load from plugins.

pick up the best refurb you can afford. 16GB/256 SSD or 8/512 depending on your storage needs

Get a 2017 Standard nTB 8gb Ram 256gb SSD, this should be your first choice.
That is plenty powerful enough.
Though you shouldn't need it it, I would upgrade the ram to 16gb.

With a great processor, speedy and plentiful ram, ultra fast ssd, excellent screen and fab speakers, with 12+ battery life (which the nTB has with bigger battery and no TB to power), and ultra compact and lightweight there should be no other choice.

best of luck.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
MacBook for everything except Logic.

If Logic is really important to you, then get a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, without Touch Bar.

Reactions: Saturn007

stellerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
MacBook for everything except Logic.

If Logic is really important to you, then get a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, without Touch Bar.
I do light light light work in Logic. I do light gaming (like a Skyrim wineskin)... I am having some hardware problems with the new Macbook Pro 13 I bought and have been feeling some remorse. I have to go back to Bestbuy to exchange my MacBook Pro. Would it be worth exchanging for the regular MB with the m3 processor and extra hard drive space? Or should I just stick with the 2017 MBP with 128gb, 8gb, i5?

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
^The general consensus is not to use a MB for Logic. Once the CPU temperature prevents Turbo Boost from operating you are down to a 1.2Ghz chip. But you could always give it a go and see if it can handle light work in Logic.
I'd be going for a 13" nTB MBP.

Reactions: Saturn007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.