Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
When I first wanted to buy a MacBook Pro, I was very hesitant. I knew about the keyboard issues AKA dust ruins the keyboard. So when the 2018 version was released and I saw the teardown that showed the thin membrane under the key caps. I was very relieved. So I bought. And now, after hearing about all the keyboards on 2018 machines breaking, I'm kind of panicked. Does Apple have a repair program for the 2018 MBP keyboards? With AppleCare+, how much would a keyboard replacement cost? How much without AppleCare+? Is AppleCare+ worth it?

sokzzuka

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2019
i was sure the 2018 was under extended warranty, but just checked and it's not. So go with applecare+
new(re-designed) MacBooks are a bit problematic machines tbh :/

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I'm sure they'll add it to the keyboard replacement program. But I'm not sure enough that I'd skimp on AppleCare+ if it was my machine.

I don't buy AC or AC+, but if I was buying a new 2018 MBPro I'd want AC (not AC+) with all the problems.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
When I first wanted to buy a MacBook Pro, I was very hesitant. I knew about the keyboard issues AKA dust ruins the keyboard. So when the 2018 version was released and I saw the teardown that showed the thin membrane under the key caps. I was very relieved. So I bought. And now, after hearing about all the keyboards on 2018 machines breaking, I'm kind of panicked. Does Apple have a repair program for the 2018 MBP keyboards? With AppleCare+, how much would a keyboard replacement cost? How much without AppleCare+? Is AppleCare+ worth it?

If you unit is over 60 days old it may be a non-issue. By default AppleCare+ can only be bought with 60 days of the initial purchase.

If you are in this situation might be able to get AppleCare or AC+ if you call the Applecare hotline directly

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm sure they'll add it to the keyboard replacement program. But I'm not sure enough that I'd skimp on AppleCare+ if it was my machine.

I don't buy AC or AC+, but if I was buying a new 2018 MBPro I'd want AC (not AC+) with all the problems.

I am with you on that. When I first purchased a 2018 MBP I did not purchase Apple Care+, not on unit #5. I started adding Apple Care+ starting with #3 :)

Reactions: Howard2k

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Well I’m stupid... I didn’t know there was time limit on when you can get AppleCare. When I try to do AppleCare on the website, there is no eligible Mac. Hmmm, could it be that it’s a refurbished machine? Also, what’s the difference between AC and AC+?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Well I’m stupid... I didn’t know there was time limit on when you can get AppleCare. When I try to do AppleCare on the website, there is no eligible Mac. Hmmm, could it be that it’s a refurbished machine? Also, what’s the difference between AC and AC+?

AC is a 2 year warranty extension. AC+ adds accident coverage. "adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax."

See this link for more details, https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

And call the number on possibly getting AppleCare or AppleCare+. Maybe they can work something out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is AppleCare+ worth it?
Given the reported issues with MacBooks these past few years, i'd say the extended warranty is a must, which is pretty sad, because it boosts the price of an already expensive machine to even higher levels. Yet because of the keyboard and the 2018 model is not yet in the repair program and the jury is out on the flexgate issue, I'd say AC is a must.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Given the reported issues with MacBooks these past few years, i'd say the extended warranty is a must, which is pretty sad, because it boosts the price of an already expensive machine to even higher levels. Yet because of the keyboard and the 2018 model is not yet in the repair program and the jury is out on the flexgate issue, I'd say AC is a must.

Agreed.
Unfortunately.

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
AC is a 2 year warranty extension. AC+ adds accident coverage. "adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax."

And call the number on possibly getting AppleCare or AppleCare+. Maybe they can work something out.

Edited for wrong information

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
For Macs its a 3 year extension, not 2.

Nope. It is an additional 2 year warranty extension. Every Mac already comes with a 1 year hardware warranty. Applecare and AppleCare+ extends that warranty to a total of 3 years (1 original + 2 additional).

At least that how it works in the US, where the OP is located.

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012

Nope. It is an additional 2 year warranty extension. Every Mac already comes with a 1 year hardware warranty. Applecare and AppleCare+ extends that warranty to a total of 3 years (1 original + 2 additional).

At least that how it works in the US, where the OP is located.

Nm, should of had my coffee first. You are correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.