Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SergArtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Hi people,
I am curious to know if anyone here uses the new MBP Pro 15' for Graphic Design and especially for 3D Graphics.
I am waiting for this year to end and replace my 2010 15 ' MBP, which is been my loyal comrade for 8 years and still working hard. Though, I had to drop aside zBrush and other 3D softwares as well as After Effects, because my current machine wouldn't make it. So I'm trying to understand whether the new 2018 MBP is going to be my buddy or not.

I do: a lot raster and vector Illustration on Photoshop and Illustrator, as well as typical graphic design (logo, brochure, prints) and Digital Painting. I am looking to get back on 3D modeling, rigging and texturing, not really into animation right now. Would love to go over to 3D Sculpting. Also, I have to admit that these flickering issues that I'm reading of, they unconformably scare me to spend that amount of money and having a % of dealing with it.

Softwares I would use: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Autodesk Maya, After Effects.
Softwares I will go extend my knowledge for: zBrush, Substance Painter/Designer, a bit of Unity.
Softwares I would start to have fun with: Ableton, Logic Pro.

Configuration I am looking for:
MacBook Pro 15''
CPU: I7 2.6 GHZ
Ram: 32 gb
HD: SSD 512 GB
GPU: Here is where I am mostly undecided about. Is the Vega 20 or even the 16 going to make a huge difference compared the 560X? Would love to hear anyone who's in my creative field's feedback.

Price: 560x: 108,000 Thai Bath (3,315 $)
Vega 16: 117,000 (3,592 $)
Vega 20: 120,000 (3,684 $)
Plus the Apple Care...
I work in Thailand and I have an educational discount.

Sadly, because of the big money needed for the MBP, I am also looking on the other side (Windows) to see there is any better value for same/less price.

Would love to hear any feedback/suggestion.

Thank you

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.