Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alebs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
MBP Logic Board - Please help me! What can I do?

Short story (detailed below): Brand new MBP with two defects/severe logic board issues in 2 years! What can I do? Laptop is totally in excellent condition.

I have read many similar reports (some almost identical) on the internet! This is definitely Apple's problem, not the user's!

Complete Story:

In October 2020 I bought a brand new MBP 2019 16'' from Apple. As soon as I started using the laptop connected to an external monitor (with an original Apple hdmi / usb-c adapter) I noticed that the computer got very, very hot.

In March 2021, only 5 months later, the laptop stopped working completely. It would not turn on.

I contacted Apple and they asked to take the computer in for authorized assistance. They detected failure/defect in the logic board, it was still under warranty and they replaced it.

I lost everything on the SSD. As I have barely used it, I had nothing to worry about.

In other words, only 5 months of use and the first major failure / defect happened.

Since being fixed, I have used the MBP normally, only in my office, normal use. Most of the time with keyboard, mouse and external monitor. The laptop is practically new.

Today, 16th of January 2023, I turned on the computer, everything was normal for about 3 minutes…

Then, out of nowhere the laptop first “froze” the mouse pointer and then turned off. Very similar to what happened the first time.

I contacted Apple, and again they asked me to go to assistance... "ok, standard procedure". Where I live, they only have authorized assistance and not an Apple Store.

I took the computer and they, again, detected a failure/defect in the logic board! A cost of +- $1,000 as it is now out of warranty!

It's unbelievable! It is not fair, it is an absurdity!

In the report they informed that the laptop had a little dust inside (just a little they said) and slightly oxidized, but without any indication of liquid (there is no liquid, never spilled anything and the computer is in perfect condition)

They said I need to internally clean (open and clean - “pay” someone to do it) the laptop every 6 months (???). I have never seen this information. I have never cleaned a laptop constantly/internally in my life.

How does a component of a computer at this price oxidize (even a little bit) like that out of nowhere?

The biggest problem is not the price itself, but having the same serious problem twice in 2 years!

How is it possible for a brand-new computer at this price to have stopped working twice in 2 years with serious defects?

Again, I use the computer normally. No spilled liquids, never crashed.

Since the first day's using and the first defect I alerted Apple that something was wrong and the computer got very hot when connecting to an external monitor.

Honestly, I don't know what to do. It's a very expensive fix and I'm sure that if I do it, the defect/problem will happen again! Sooner or later (probably soon, 1 year of life again), the logic board will fail again!

I have an MBP 2014 13'' and it's never had a problem!

I'm really considering suing Apple! That is inadmissible. That's not fair.

It's not fair for me to pay for something I didn't make/break/damage (again - second time same problem in short period of time)

I am lost! Please, what else can I do? They need to pay and fix this at once! Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
What I would do at this point. Write an email to tcook@apple.com outlining your experience, frustration and disappointment with this purchase and seemingly repeated and costly failure.

Obviously it won't (immediately) be read by Tim Cook himself but rather be vetted by his office. There have been posts before of staff contacting the buyer directly via telephone to investigate and resolve major issues.

Good luck.

Reactions: alebs

alebs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
What I would do at this point. Write an email to tcook@apple.com outlining your experience, frustration and disappointment with this purchase and seemingly repeated and costly failure.

Obviously it won't (immediately) be read by Tim Cook himself but rather be vetted by his office. There have been posts before of staff contacting the buyer directly via telephone to investigate and resolve major issues.

Good luck.

Haha! Is it serious? Honest questions 😅

I am so frustrated that I spend all day searching about it. Hundreds of similar cases, videos on YouTube, Apple Community, MacRumors, etc.

I still do not know what to do, but I am so angry that will try to contact a lawyer if there is anything to do.

As I said, I know that if I fix it, it will soon have the same problem.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
How is it possible for a brand-new computer at this price to have stopped working twice in 2 years with serious defects?
This is odd framing. You purchased the computer in October 2020. Today is January 2023, more than two years later. The computer isn't brand new any more. Also, price bears no relationship to product failure. Everything can fail. Do you think $1 million cars never experience component failure?

I'm sorry this happened to you, but things do fail, even multiple times. You simply got extraordinarily unlucky to have had two logic boards fail. Unfortunately, that's life.

AgentOSX

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2017
Hollywood
Haha! Is it serious? Honest questions 😅

I am so frustrated that I spend all day searching about it. Hundreds of similar cases, videos on YouTube, Apple Community, MacRumors, etc.

I still do not know what to do, but I am so angry that will try to contact a lawyer if there is anything to do.

As I said, I know that if I fix it, it will soon have the same problem.

Don't laugh. Twice in 15 years I have written to tcook and twice his office responded and fixed the situation.

But then one major iCloud issue I had - some iCloud services were not working on my primary iMac for 26 months - was referred to engineers, but they never told me what the problem was and never fixed anything... but Cook's office sent me a HomePod. It took a while new Mac OS update to fix the problem.

Reactions: alebs

alebs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
This is odd framing. You purchased the computer in October 2020. Today is January 2023, more than two years later. The computer isn't brand new any more. Also, price bears no relationship to product failure. Everything can fail. Do you think $1 million cars never experience component failure?

I'm sorry this happened to you, but things do fail, even multiple times. You simply got extraordinarily unlucky to have had two logic boards fail. Unfortunately, that's life.

I understand your point about failure, but two logic boards in ~two years is too much. It is 1 board/year.

And I believe if I fix, I will have the same problem again.

What is the point? Should I buy a new logic board every year? It does not make sense.

Components fail, but that is too much. First in 5 months, then again now. I use the laptop normally, no excess, no travels, no spills, nothing... nothing... It should last longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.