Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

First post here so looking forward to any input. After loads of research I'm still unsure about what monitors to get for my MBP. I've looked online at the evidence for a 110ppi monitor. That basically narrows it down to either a 24inch 1080p or 27 inch 1440p. The third option would be a 27inch 4k panel but scaled down to somwhere in between right?

I'm really confused as to what to go for and here in the UK I can't find anywhere to go and physically check the monitors out by plugging the MBP in. I'm a med student so space for lectures, pdfs and YouTube as well as text clarity is really important. I tried a 34 inch VA Samsung curved QLED but had to return as text was horrible.

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
I have a 27 inch wqhd monitor and a 32 inch 4K (hp Z32) and if Text clarity is really important a 4K monitor is pretty sharp. BUT for me a 27 4K monitor is less practical, because if you drive it native text will be really small so you would have to use a scaled resolution. I switch between native and scaled because even with 32 inch text can be small after a long time. The 27 inch wqhd is fine, although you will notice that it is definitely less sharp.

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
I have a 27 inch wqhd monitor and a 32 inch 4K (hp Z32) and if Text clarity is really important a 4K monitor is pretty sharp. BUT for me a 27 4K monitor is less practical, because if you drive it native text will be really small so you would have to use a scaled resolution. I switch between native and scaled because even with 32 inch text can be small after a long time. The 27 inch wqhd is fine, although you will notice that it is definitely less sharp.
Thanks so much! I think when I say text clarity as long as it’s not blurry I’m happy. The reason I wanted to go for 1440p was to run at native resolution, Is that what you do? I want to not scale basically to avoid massive UI size. Would you say that 2x 27” is probably better than 2x 24 (1080)? - both are around 110 ppi which I’ve been told is important for non retina

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks so much! I think when I say text clarity as long as it’s not blurry I’m happy. The reason I wanted to go for 1440p was to run at native resolution, Is that what you do? I want to not scale basically to avoid massive UI size. Would you say that 2x 27” is probably better than 2x 24 (1080)? - both are around 110 ppi which I’ve been told is important for non retina
Yes 2 x 27 wqhd is pretty good I would say - especially if the sharpness works for you. Some people prefer a single bigger display but I also like two displays.
At 27 wqhd I only use the native resolution. Running scaled does also give you a small performance hit.

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Yes 2 x 27 wqhd is pretty good I would say - especially if the sharpness works for you. Some people prefer a single bigger display but I also like two displays.
At 27 wqhd I only use the native resolution. Running scaled does also give you a small performance hit.
Perfect thanks so much for replying. I can’t even comment on the sharpness I haven’t been able to try any out here. Monitor wise I’ve only ever used a 24 inch 1080 and it looked fine to me when the resolution was at 1080/ native. I hope this is the case for the 1440’s too.... I don’t think my mac recognises the other monitor as a monitor though. I never get the options which are like squares with text in it saying “looks like”

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
The jump from 24 inch 1080p to 27 wqhd was pretty noticeable for me. Text is a little bit sharper and you have a lot more space. The problem with macOS not recognising a monitor the „right“ way is really strange. I had this too with my dell monitor and it was only recognised as „TV“ and thus only displaying ycbcr instead of a rgb profile. But there is a script which modifies the EDID file of the monitor and then macOS recognises the monitor. If this will be the case for you, maybe you should check the script. Great if this is some help to you.

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
The jump from 24 inch 1080p to 27 wqhd was pretty noticeable for me. Text is a little bit sharper and you have a lot more space. The problem with macOS not recognising a monitor the „right“ way is really strange. I had this too with my dell monitor and it was only recognised as „TV“ and thus only displaying ycbcr instead of a rgb profile. But there is a script which modifies the EDID file of the monitor and then macOS recognises the monitor. If this will be the case for you, maybe you should check the script. Great if this is some help to you.
Did you fix that problem? I wouldn’t know how to do it. I read something about it and looked complicated but maybe with some help I might be able to. Is that the only way it can be recognised as a monitor?

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
Yes it worked although I remember it to be „a little“ complicated because I had to disable a security option of macOS (don’t know what it’s named at the moment). But you can reenable this setting. It is several years since so I don’t remember everything but I think it is doable even with „light to medium knowledge“ - but i don’t know what the current state is. Do you have this problem at the moment or do you expect this to be the case with those two monitors?

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Yes it worked although I remember it to be „a little“ complicated because I had to disable a security option of macOS (don’t know what it’s named at the moment). But you can reenable this setting. It is several years since so I don’t remember everything but I think it is doable even with „light to medium knowledge“ - but i don’t know what the current state is. Do you have this problem at the moment or do you expect this to be the case with those two monitors?
I expect it to be the same I have a spare monitor which showed as a tv, do u know how I’d fix this?

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
If there are some users which are familiar with the current situation this would be more helpful I think. But I am pretty sure that I did the following:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dkowz1
If you search for „EDID macOS“ there are several instructions but I don’t think there is an update for Big Sur yet. With the new m1 machines it is not possible to this Date but with your intel MBP you should be fine. If you have more questions maybe I can help

Reactions: Shahjee_MBBS

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
If there are some users which are familiar with the current situation this would be more helpful I think. But I am pretty sure that I did the following:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dkowz1
If you search for „EDID macOS“ there are several instructions but I don’t think there is an update for Big Sur yet. With the new m1 machines it is not possible to this Date but with your intel MBP you should be fine. If you have more questions maybe I can help
Thanks so much, I’ll have to have a look for something about Bigsur as I’ve already updated

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
1440p is generally considered the sweet spot for 27" displays. Typically I don't run dual 27s, usually just the one 27 and my MBP display open sitting next to it.

I've never had issue with a monitor being misidentified as a TV vs a monitor. Not sure why that would happen. Also haven't ever had reason to think about forcing RGB mode. That said, I usually connect via DisplayPort not HDMI so perhaps that has something to do with it.

As for blurry text - macOS sometimes gets heavy-handed on font smoothing. See here for how to tweak the amount it applies

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
1440p is generally considered the sweet spot for 27" displays. Typically I don't run dual 27s, usually just the one 27 and my MBP display open sitting next to it.

I've never had issue with a monitor being misidentified as a TV vs a monitor. Not sure why that would happen. Also haven't ever had reason to think about forcing RGB mode. That said, I usually connect via DisplayPort not HDMI so perhaps that has something to do with it.

As for blurry text - macOS sometimes gets heavy-handed on font smoothing. See here for how to tweak the amount it applies

That’s great to hear. I presume you’re running the 27” 1440’s at native resolution right? Like I said I only have one spare monitor lying about and that seems to be recognised only as a TV. I’m really not expecting too much as compared to the retina screen but are you enjoying the 1440 27”? Like I said my options are 2 of those or 2 24” 1080p’s so I feel like the 27 option is probably an upgrade.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
As I wrote, I don't run dual 27's. Just don't need that much screen space. I did run a 1080p in portrait mode as a second monitor to my Dell U2717D 1440p for a while pre-COVID but that got repurposed and I've not missed it. Good thing since my M1 MBP doesn't drive dual externals - but works great with a single plus internal display.

Yes, I do run the 1440p at native resolution. I like it better than 24" 1080p though the latter is fine too.

Consider starting out with a single 27 1440p and use it alongside your MBP. I use a Caldigit TS3+ for single-cable dock/power but you can do fine with just a USBC to DisplayPort cable

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
As I wrote, I don't run dual 27's. Just don't need that much screen space. I did run a 1080p in portrait mode as a second monitor to my Dell U2717D 1440p for a while pre-COVID but that got repurposed and I've not missed it. Good thing since my M1 MBP doesn't drive dual externals - but works great with a single plus internal display.

Yes, I do run the 1440p at native resolution. I like it better than 24" 1080p though the latter is fine too.

Consider starting out with a single 27 1440p and use it alongside your MBP. I use a Caldigit TS3+ for single-cable dock/power but you can do fine with just a USBC to DisplayPort cable
The reason I’d be go for duals is to have that flexibility of potentially one monitor allocated to portrait mode with a full YouTube lecture or a textbook. Out of curiosity, how are you finding a 1440p right next to the Retina display, does it bother you? Also is the mini display port a better option than HDMI? I’m not sure where to get good cables from the UK either or get an adapter + standard cable?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The reason I’d be go for duals is to have that flexibility of potentially one monitor allocated to portrait mode with a full YouTube lecture or a textbook. Out of curiosity, how are you finding a 1440p right next to the Retina display, does it bother you? Also is the mini display port a better option than HDMI? I’m not sure where to get good cables from the UK either or get an adapter + standard cable?

If you've not already spent time working with a 27" 1440p display, I'd suggest doing so with one before springing for two. You may find what you envision you need today to be different than what you find after working with a display a while. Far easier to buy a second display in a few weeks than it would be to return one. :p

I have no issue working the the MBP and display - works just fine for me.

IMHO, I'll generally choose Displayport over HDMI. Just seems like it's always had less potential hiccups, or maybe it's just 'cuz that's what I've generally used. Others may disagree. There's various discussions of one vs the other.

Whatever you choose, I'd avoid adapters if you can easily just get a single cable. I've had good results with this one. Not sure if Amazon UK carries it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J6DT070

First though look at whether you will use a USBC or Thunderbolt dock for single-cable power & other connections at your desk. Or you may wish to choose a monitor that provides a USBC connection with power delivery to keep the MBP charged.

No reason to go with minidisplayport unless that's what the monitor or dock supports.

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
If you've not already spent time working with a 27" 1440p display, I'd suggest doing so with one before springing for two. You may find what you envision you need today to be different than what you find after working with a display a while. Far easier to buy a second display in a few weeks than it would be to return one. :p

I have no issue working the the MBP and display - works just fine for me.

IMHO, I'll generally choose Displayport over HDMI. Just seems like it's always had less potential hiccups, or maybe it's just 'cuz that's what I've generally used. Others may disagree. There's various discussions of one vs the other.

Whatever you choose, I'd avoid adapters if you can easily just get a single cable. I've had good results with this one. Not sure if Amazon UK carries it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J6DT070

No reason to go with minidisplayport unless that's what the monitor or dock supports.
Legend thanks so much for all the information. Just out of interest I have a final question for you/ others.

I can pick up 2x LG 27 inch USB C 4K monitors IPS with a dual monitor stand and all cables from a family friend for basically the same price as 2x new 1440p 27”. Do you know whether a scaled resolution of the 4K would be better than the native 1440p? Connectivity would be with USB C so wanted to know your thoughts.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Legend thanks so much for all the information. Just out of interest I have a final question for you/ others.

I can pick up 2x LG 27 inch USB C 4K monitors IPS with a dual monitor stand and all cables from a family friend for basically the same price as 2x new 1440p 27”. Do you know whether a scaled resolution of the 4K would be better than the native 1440p? Connectivity would be with USB C so wanted to know your thoughts.
I’ve never used a 27” 4K display so have no direct experience. Take the following with that in mind.

• When playing with scaling on my MBP, I find that native or integer scaled sizes are clearest. Fractional scaling seems a little fuzzier.
  • Any fractionally scaled display will likely require more resources than an integer scaled and definitely more than a native display with no scaling.
  • Obtaining 2 x 4K60Hz from a usbc hub is a frequent topic/challenge here on MR.

So I’d suggest you do a bit of research on the above thoughts and see what others reality has been.

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
I’ve never used a 27” 4K display so have no direct experience. Take the following with that in mind.

• When playing with scaling on my MBP, I find that native or integer scaled sizes are clearest. Fractional scaling seems a little fuzzier.
  • Any fractionally scaled display will likely require more resources than an integer scaled and definitely more than a native display with no scaling.
  • Obtaining 2 x 4K60Hz from a usbc hub is a frequent topic/challenge here on MR.

So I’d suggest you do a bit of research on the above thoughts and see what others reality has been.
Thank you! Sorry if this obvious but integer scaling is like 1920x1080, in that format right? In terms of the 2x 4K 60hz I have 4 TB3 ports on my MacBook so I was hoping that would be fine.

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
@Shahjee_MBBS

Yes 1080p would be best in terms of performance (other than native of course) BUT keep in mind, that this scaling will lead to comically large UI elements - even on my 32" monitor. In respect to generell performance - you will definitely notice a hit. When I use my 32" 4K with a scaling option and my 27" WQHD native with my Intel MPB 2020 (4TB) I notice that resizing windows will be a bit choppy but still usable - but with a pretty light usage (a bunch of word documents and PDF s open + several safari tabs).

To sum it up, if possible I would try this setup before buying blind.

Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thank you! Sorry if this obvious but integer scaling is like 1920x1080, in that format right? In terms of the 2x 4K 60hz I have 4 TB3 ports on my MacBook so I was hoping that would be fine.
Yes, displaying an effective 1920x1080 desktop on a 4K monitor is integer scaling. A 5K display does 1440p with integer scaling. 1440p on a 4K is 1.5x scaled - what I'm calling fractional

As for ports - I'd imagine you will find that you will want to move to a hub or dock after you've spent a short time messing around with three cables every time you want to connect / disconnect your MBP. So much easier to have a single cable. :p

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
@Shahjee_MBBS

Yes 1080p would be best in terms of performance (other than native of course) BUT keep in mind, that this scaling will lead to comically large UI elements - even on my 32" monitor. In respect to generell performance - you will definitely notice a hit. When I use my 32" 4K with a scaling option and my 27" WQHD native with my Intel MPB 2020 (4TB) I notice that resizing windows will be a bit choppy but still usable - but with a pretty light usage (a bunch of word documents and PDF s open + several safari tabs).

To sum it up, if possible I would try this setup before buying blind.
Thank you I will!

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Yes, displaying an effective 1920x1080 desktop on a 4K monitor is integer scaling. A 5K display does 1440p with integer scaling. 1440p on a 4K is 1.5x scaled - what I'm calling fractional

As for ports - I'd imagine you will find that you will want to move to a hub or dock after you've spent a short time messing around with three cables every time you want to connect / disconnect your MBP. So much easier to have a single cable. :p
Understood maybe native 1440 is the way to go then. Any hub/dock recommendations for either set up? Tight budget (med school ?) so would appreciate saving money

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.