Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I recently purchased a MBP 13" Mid-2012 (MacBookPro 9.2) with 8gb RAM, and am planning how to best set it up. Currently I am waiting for a Samsung 860 EVO 500gb SSD to arrive from Amazon. When the SSD is installed I plan to partition the SSD into two 250gb partitions with OS Mojave in the first partition and OS Monterey (via OCLP) in the second partition.
OS Mojave is currently running on the original HDD, and I like this OS very much. At the same time it would be great to check out OS Monterey, and spend some time with both OS installed.

If I decide to stick with only OS Mojave, is it possible to completely delete the OS Monterey partition without ending up with Monterey firmware that messes up OS Mojave?

Any hjelp or suggestions is appreciated!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I have the same MacBook Pro (i7) which I installed Monterey on a new ssd drive, a OWC 1TB last Thursday
in the DVD bay while Mojave is in the main drive bay.
(two drives, two OS)

when I updated to Monterey's last release and safari 17,
the MBP ran great.....for several hours, then froze, locked the ssd drive and would not work after rebooting.
I tried unlocking the ssd drive using a option reboot, then backdoor that in Mojave then realized I was screwed.
Two days ago I reinstalled Catalina from a fresh install from a usb thumb drive to save the ssd.

what I did wrong (think) was use a newer version of OCPL 1.1 while 0.4 worked for this MBP great last year.

you need to realize that having Monterey on a unsupportive MacBook is a wonderful concept
but there a few great software developers creating the patcher at home in Alberta,
instead a team of Cupertino experts, so things could go wrong, as in my case.

if you partition Mojave and Monterey on one drive, things can go wrong and you could lose both OS and data.
I had to replace over 800GB of movies and Tv shows these past days and thought lost my Mr bean and Addams family shows during the replacement process.
(thankfully I had a copy on a old hard drive I was going to erase)
as the MBP serves as my entertainment source now.
(I cancelled a few stream services in September)

personally, i would read more replies, check out the "Monterey on unsupportive Macs"
thread and back, back, back everything up!

I hope I did not scare you, but I should say (type) something on my experience this week.
replying data really is time consuming and tiresome.

Last edited:
Reactions: bjolester

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I have the same MacBook Pro (i7) which I installed Monterey on a new ssd drive, a OWC 1TB last Thursday
in the DVD bay while Mojave is in the main drive bay.
(two drives, two OS)

when I updated to Monterey's last release and safari 17,
the MBP ran great.....for several hours, then froze, locked the ssd drive and would not work after rebooting.
I tried unlocking the ssd drive using a option reboot, then backdoor that in Mojave then realized I was screwed.
Two days ago I reinstalled Catalina from a fresh install from a usb thumb drive to save the ssd.

what I did wrong (think) was use a newer version of OCPL 1.1 while 0.4 worked for this MBP great last year.

you need to realize that having Monterey on a unsupportive MacBook is a wonderful concept
but there a few great software developers creating the patcher at home in Alberta,
instead a team of Cupertino experts, so things could go wrong, as in my case.

if you partition Mojave and Monterey on one drive, things can go wrong and you could lose both OS and data.
I had to replace over 800GB of movies and Tv shows these past days and thought lost my Mr bean and Addams family shows during the replacement process.
(thankfully I had a copy on a old hard drive I was going to erase)
as the MBP serves as my entertainment source now.
(I cancelled a few stream services in September)

personally, i would read more replies, check out the "Monterey on unsupportive Macs"
thread and back, back, back everything up!

I hope I did not scare you, but I should say (type) something on my experience this week.
replying data really is time consuming and tiresome.

Hmm… I have read about similar experiences to yours in several threads here on MR and on other forums. This makes me quite hesitant about going for OCLP and OS Monterey. I obviously need to do some more research on this matter.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I would OCLP on a 265 ssd and see that how that goes.
OR
you can even use that on an external drive as my MacBook Air m1 has a drive for Monterey
while I use Sonoma on the main drive.

there are many safe options we have now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.