Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yarngrrl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Madison, WI
I am getting a MacBook Pro, and I want to be sure to take care of the battery properly from the get-go.

Being a child of the '80s, I am used to the old "run them down to nothing, then charge them until they almost explode" or they'll lose their "memory", etc., way of rechargeables. Now, I know that new batteries don't have this, but every cell phone I have ever had that I have followed the manufacturer's recommendations on (charge frequently), has not held its charge after 18 months, so I must be doing something wrong.

How should the battery in the MacBook Pro be charged for longest battery life and longest long term life?

Thanks!

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Lithium batteries don't suffer the problem Alkaline batteries have with memory. However, after every full battery cycle (fully charge to discharge, repeat), the maximum energy the battery can hold decreases. This is probably why your Cell Phone doesn't hold a battery anymore (probably a cheap batter). It will happen to your laptop and any lithium battery. The advantage is that you don't have to discharge your battery all the way before plugging it in to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.