Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
My MBP keeps shutting off when the battery hits about 30% or 45 minutes left. It just looses all life except the sleep light on the lid release latch. It has done this a few times now over the past few days and it's getting REALLY ANNOYING!

I took a few screen shots while this was happening. These first couple are after it shut off and I plugged it in. As you can see, my battery life dropped undesirably low (iStat) and shows 0 capacity left.

Attachments

• Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 338

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
This is after about 3-5 minutes of charging. The health jumped back up (iStat) and the remaining capacity also jumped up from 0. So, anyone have a clue as what I should do here? How do you calibrate a battery that just shuts off so soon? WILL a recalibration fix this (it's not even been a month since the last one)? Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 300

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Lol. I just started to reply to your thread and was about to put a link to this thread in there when I saw you wrote back. This is also my second battery from Apple, so if I have to replace it, I'll also be on my third (since June). I'm not sure what is going on with it. I'll be calling them again today to see what they say.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Well, I never got the chance to call Apple yesterday, but I used my MBP last night off the battery and it lasted a bit longer than 30%. It got down to about 15% before shutting off. I plugged the power back in and now the battery is at 83% health. Something is not right. I'll be on the phone with Apple in a few minutes.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
UPDATE: It took me a while, but I finally got around to calling Apple tonight. The guy said it appears that everything is functioning normally and that I just need to calibrate the battery. He said I have the latest battery firmware installed, and the capacity looks to be normal. My battery is lasting about 2 hours and I'm now at 25 cycles. His explanation: batteries slowly die as they are used. WTF?! I told him I'd give the calibration a shot and if it doesn't help, I'd call back. Wish me luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.