Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
The network around the house has a modem/router in the centre with an Airport Express connected via ethernet providing wireless signal to the computers around it.

About a week ago, I changed ISPs to TPG, and intially, everything was all fine and dandy, but now everything has gone A over T. I moved the Airport around, and for some reason, I can't get it to supply an internet connection again, but thats another issue for later.

The more pressing issue is, when I hardwire my MacBook up to the modem router, I can enter 192.168.0.1 and change settings, but it won't connect to the internet, yet the MacBook Pro will. Everything in System Preferences looks the same. I've tried resetting both the router and the computer with no change. I've used different cables and ports on the router, and ones known to work.

Any ideas?

RESOLVED: See post #3

stolfi1

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
The network around the house has a modem/router in the centre with an Airport Express connected via ethernet providing wireless signal to the computers around it.

About a week ago, I changed ISPs to TPG, and intially, everything was all fine and dandy, but now everything has gone A over T. I moved the Airport around, and for some reason, I can't get it to supply an internet connection again, but thats another issue for later.

The more pressing issue is, when I hardwire my MacBook up to the modem router, I can enter 192.168.0.1 and change settings, but it won't connect to the internet, yet the MacBook Pro will. Everything in System Preferences looks the same. I've tried resetting both the router and the computer with no change. I've used different cables and ports on the router, and ones known to work.

Any ideas?

Is it a white macbook? One of the Core Duo ones that first came out? Apple never admitted this problem, but the ethernet on those models is flawed the pins on the jack get bent easy. Do this take a little safety pin or a needle and pry the pins upward in the jack.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Is it a white macbook? One of the Core Duo ones that first came out? Apple never admitted this problem, but the ethernet on those models is flawed the pins on the jack get bent easy. Do this take a little safety pin or a needle and pry the pins upward in the jack.

It's not a hardware issue, as the macbook connects to the macbook pro over ethernet perfectly fine, and it can talk to the router, but it just can't connect to the internet. I'm on the MacBook Pro now, and it works fine.

Do you have any documentation of the flawed ethernet ports? It'd have to be a serious problem before I start bending pins in my computer.

EDIT: I don't get it. It's working fine now.

EDIT MkII; I really don't get it. Now the Airport is working. I've spent hours trying to fix this, and now it's all just come together.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sounds like the deal with comcast. You have to associate a modem with a certain computer, otherwise it won't work. Then you clone the MAC address of the computer on the airport and it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.