Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FLappleGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hey MacRumors Peeps!

I've been searching for someone who's had a similar issue on the internet, and I'm not finding much. Probably because of so many other keyboard issues with these MBP's.

Anyway, mine seems to be different. I booted up my 2016 15" MBP w/ TB yesterday morning to find that the keyboard isn't working. When I try to type nothing happens. When I press the 'caps lock' button, the green indicator doesn't respond.

The Touch Bar works normally, and all the backlights are illuminating. Trackpad works perfectly too.

I've been searching for suggestions beyond rebooting (which I've done), any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. GB appointment already made for Monday

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think you already have an appointment for the one solution that is likely to work I afraid. Since SMC requires pressing Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, if it is non-responsive that isn't likely to work.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Since SMC requires pressing Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, if it is non-responsive that isn't likely to work.
Unless OP has a bluetooth keyboard that they can connect to try resetting the SMC... could be worth a shot, but my guess is yours, looks likely OP will have to have Apple replace the top case (since you can't really fix any individual parts anyways).

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
Hey MacRumors Peeps!

I've been searching for someone who's had a similar issue on the internet, and I'm not finding much. Probably because of so many other keyboard issues with these MBP's.

Anyway, mine seems to be different. I booted up my 2016 15" MBP w/ TB yesterday morning to find that the keyboard isn't working. When I try to type nothing happens. When I press the 'caps lock' button, the green indicator doesn't respond.

The Touch Bar works normally, and all the backlights are illuminating. Trackpad works perfectly too.

I've been searching for suggestions beyond rebooting (which I've done), any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. GB appointment already made for Monday

I had same problem, got to the store and bought $15 USB cable keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.