Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdmclaughlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
I am so ticked. I bought my MBP July 3. On Aug 18 it died and was sent back to Apple and they replaced the logic board. Today, I was working on my MBP, closed closed the lid to carry it down the hall, walked about 20 feet, set it down on a table and opened the lid. Much to my surprise, the LCD was cracked and it is impossible to use. I nearly had a heart attack. I have never dropped, bumped, scratched, jarred, hit or jabbed my MBP in any way. I saved for a couple of months for this baby, and on a teacher's salary, that's no easy task.

Of course I ran right to the genius bar, waited over an hour because they had no appts left and I had to be on "standby" (which seemed to annoy the Genius guys). So I flip open the lid and the genius laughed -- he said he hasn't seen a cracked LCD like that in a long while. I didn't find that particularly funny. He basically handed it back to me and said there was nothing they could do. I spoke to the manager and he also found it quite humorous. All he would say is that I can call Customer Relations and see if they will do anything. And of course, Customer Relations said it was my fault and buh-bye. The guy said Apple does thorough tests on their screens to make sure they withstand any abuse, cracks and general wear and tear. He then explained that it's been Apple's policy to not cover any screen cracks due to this thorough testing.

I am ticked beyond belief. I didn't do a single thing to crack that lcd. I mean nothing. I take such good care of that computer that people make fun of me. I looked all over the place, thinking that maybe a paperclip or staple got stuck in there -- why I don't know -- but you never know. Nothing. No dust even.

I had a Powerbook for years and NEVER ONCE had a single repair. I buy my brand new MBP and have two huge issues in as many months. I am annoyed that the Genuis guys blew this off as a "we never cover this no matter what" issue when I told them numerous times I have never damaged a single computer I have owned. It's like they figured I was just feeding them a line of garbage -- Oh, here's another one of these customers trying to get a free repair for damage they caused.

Is my only option to bite it and get a new screen myself?

casw1000

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Ouch, that's not funny at all. To be honest regardless if the genius guys see this on a daily. hourly or even never basis, it was quite unprofessional of them to act in that way. Shame guys!

Now then, my only contructive piece of advice would be to check your house hold insurance and see if the cost of replacing the screen or whole mbp would be a cheaper claim and paying out for the new screen yourself.

Certainly if you claim on your house insurance then you would think the premium would increase next year, but I very much doubt to the tune of $600.

Worth a thought and maybe check your policy to make sure its covered. Good luck all the same.

-casw1000

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Apple will repair it for you but it's not going to be covered under warranty (it's going to cost a ******** of money). Try talking to a different genius at another store (if you have another one close) or call applecare again.

Also, it's an LCD screen with LED backlighting, not an LED screen.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Just another example of Apple refusing to admit fault and forcing a customer to live with a defective product. This has started becoming Apple's general modus operandi. I would raise hell and not stop until it was fixed free of charge.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Call apple and tell them you're embarrased and shocked at the same time that they laughed at you...this will get them to repair it.

sdmclaughlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Do you all think it has anything to do with the logic board repair? I know that the logic board has nothing to do with the screen -- but that's the only time my MBP has been out of my hands. Otherwise, it goes where I go and I am the only to use it.

My husband thought that might be a long shot -- I don't know.

This just blows my mind.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Quite honestly though, not that I doubt you or your story, but how does an LCD crack without being touched, dropped, or bumped? I've never heard of such a thing in my entire life?

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Quite honestly though, not that I doubt you or your story, but how does an LCD crack without being touched, dropped, or bumped? I've never heard of such a thing in my entire life?

Exactly what I was going to say. I don't even think you should call Apple or email because LCD screens DO NOT break on their own. There is something wrong with your story. It only breaks under pressure.

I have been in this business for 10 years, and everytime someone comes in with a cracked screen it is NEVER "their" fault...They just woke up that morning and it was that way...Give me a break.

And by saying "I am so good at taking care of my computers" and telling them that you have had other computers and their screens haven't broke is moot...Just because you haven't broke other screens doesn't mean you aren't capable of breaking one..

It is possible that something was on the keyboard (like a pen, or something) and that when you closed the lid it applied pressure and cracked the screen.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
When you opened it, did it make a cracking sound? I know some laptops have a frame that if broken can reduce the structural stability of the monitor itself. Some of the iBooks had a plastic frame, inside the monitor itself, that broke occasionally, causing the screen to flex when it was being opened.

This may be a longshot, but when you open the lid, does the screen flex?

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005

werd, I find the complainers here pathetic.

LCD's don't just crack. The OP did something intentionally or unintentionally and/or unknowingly to cause the damage. Why should any company be liable for accidental damages? I doubt this is a QC issue since I've never heard/experience of anything remotely simlar to this issue happening on any other mac in the many years of being a mac user.

However, if you can prove with verifiable evidence that your LCD cracked due to some manufactur's defect then I think Apple should cover the costs of the repair, if not then the most plausible explanation is that you unknowingly did cause the damage and you should just suck it up and pay to have apple repair it for you and move on.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Yes it is possible I have seen them crack duo to being left in a very hot car. But other than extreme circumstances like that, they shouldn't break on their own.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
i own a pc/laptop repair business in my local town...

i have replaced a number of macbook pro and macbook screen because of people even just closing the case too hard, or setting their coffee mug ontop (why they would do that i dont know)

.. but most people i replace these for want a cheaper solution than the ~$600 apple wants to replace the 13.3" glossy macbook screen... you can buy good offbrand lcd's for 150 - 190ish (for both mb and mbp) and it only takes about an hour (and the right tools) to replace.... the downside is the 15.4" screens you will find on ebay are not LED backlit, ... which for a MacBook makes no difference and usualy like awesome anyway, but if you want the LED backlit 15" screen you are going to have to go to apple :(

.... your best bet is to call apple support and demand they replace because you had no problems before you had it in for repairs, and that they cant prove that they didnt "damage" it when they had it in the shop

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Its surprising that nobody on this thread thought that maybe the screen got some kind of structural damage when it was sent for a logic board replacement! I mean the repair guys aren't exactly very careful when handling the hardware. Just my 2 cents.

jczubach

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
northwest
Its surprising that nobody on this thread thought that maybe the screen got some kind of structural damage when it was sent for a logic board replacement! I mean the repair guys aren't exactly very careful when handling the hardware. Just my 2 cents.
Ok, here's my 2 cents. I worked with glass for 13 years and if there is so much as a nick along any of the edges, it can go at any time with the smallest of provocations. Have replaced a lot of glass in my time that has either exploded spontaneously from improper tempering or been pressured by the proverbial 'mouse fart' of pressure or twisting. Especially when dealing with 3mm or less in thickness. It's glass, that's why it's marked 'fragile'. My educated guess is that you had a nick, either in the original manufacture or during the repair along one of the edges. And you can normally trace the source of the problem by tracing backward from the cracks to the original flaw. I would continue to argue that somewhere along the line the edge of the screen was damaged since once installed you would have no access to it's only truly vulnerable area as it is encased by the housing. Cheers, and good luck, vic.

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Did you pay for it with a credit card? Some credit cards extend the manufacturers warranty AND cover some things NOT covered by the manufacturer. You may want to check. AMEX...never leave home without it.

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2006
actually, it is possible for the lcd to crack without the user doing anything. This brings me back to a story that happened to me about 3 years ago (i guess..) and my brand spankin new Al Powerbook G4. It had just been replaced by apple care due to a faulty logic board. When i got it back i had used it for about 2 weeks and i came back one day to my computer (without touching it or it being used by anyone) to find the lcd basically shattered. I was surprised as no one was home so it basically cracked itself. I called up customer service they said there was nothing i can do. I raised hell and got them to at least look at it in their depot. I got a call a few days later saying it was a technicians fault and that the lcd bezel screws had been set to tight which caused an eventual fracture in the lcd. So while very unlikely its deff a possibility that it was apple's error.

Daniel

jczubach

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
northwest
Except for the fact that MBP screens are NOT glass. They're soft plastic. Glass would be a whole different story.

"Anisotropic Conductive Film (ACF), is a lead-free and environmentally-friendly epoxy system that has been used in Liquid Crystal Display manufacturing to make the electrical and mechanical connections from the driver electronics to the glass substrates of the LCD."
Methinks it's coated glass.:rolleyes:

Zel

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
actually, it is possible for the lcd to crack without the user doing anything. This brings me back to a story that happened to me about 3 years ago (i guess..) and my brand spankin new Al Powerbook G4. It had just been replaced by apple care due to a faulty logic board. When i got it back i had used it for about 2 weeks and i came back one day to my computer (without touching it or it being used by anyone) to find the lcd basically shattered. I was surprised as no one was home so it basically cracked itself. I called up customer service they said there was nothing i can do. I raised hell and got them to at least look at it in their depot. I got a call a few days later saying it was a technicians fault and that the lcd bezel screws had been set to tight which caused an eventual fracture in the lcd. So while very unlikely its deff a possibility that it was apple's error.

Daniel

IF the original poster is not lying, then this is the probable cause. screws in too tight due to a sloppy logic board replacement can put too much pressure on the glass and cause the break.

having worked in repair myself, i know it is more often that the user lies. 'it just broke' is unbelievable. you need to find a suggestible solution, suggest that the repair guys put in the screws too tight. this might even be visible in forensic analysis of the damaged screen. (although no one will take the time to do such a thing.)

Applecare?

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
IF the original poster is not lying, then this is the probable cause. screws in too tight due to a sloppy logic board replacement can put too much pressure on the glass and cause the break.

having worked in repair myself, i know it is more often that the user lies. 'it just broke' is unbelievable. you need to find a suggestible solution, suggest that the repair guys put in the screws too tight. this might even be visible in forensic analysis of the damaged screen. (although no one will take the time to do such a thing.)

Applecare?

Ummm....replacing the logicboard has nothing to do with the LCD, they are two different parts of the laptop..so it's unlikely that over-tightened screws on the logicboard end caused the LCD to crack..that's like working on my engine and my tailgate falling off...

Zel

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Ummm....replacing the logicboard has nothing to do with the LCD, they are two different parts of the laptop..so it's unlikely that over-tightened screws on the logicboard end caused the LCD to crack..that's like working on my engine and my tailgate falling off...

they couldve opened it up to take a look.

if it was unneccesary, then thats better evidence for the original poster that the technicians were sloppy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.