Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I've just been looking on Amazon and can't see anything that comes close to 140 watt with two USB C ports.
Does anybody have any recommendations for a 2nd charger?

2nd charger is so I don't have to carry a charger to and from work every day. And it'd be nice to be able to plug in iphone/ipad/computer (don't need all three at once but two at one time is useful) into the same power charger.

Reactions: Archerious

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Because no such charger exists, Apple are the first manufacturer that we know of delivering over 100 watts via USB C WITH the proper Power Delivery standard (in fact they're using a newer version of the standard which has been agreed upon in the industry but not officially released yet).

If you want something over 100 watts I wouldn't use anything except Apple's official 140W charger yet, other USB-C chargers over 100 watts are not officially universal chargers (they are device specific) so don't risk it. Wait for more charger manufacturers (Anker, etc.) to come out with 140W adapters that use the right technology for the MacBook Pro.

DarthBradicus

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Apple is the first company to release a charger using the recently finalized USB PD 3.1 spec. If you want fast charging for your MBP, Apple’s 140W charger is the only option right now. (Also, the spec. for ports is even newer, which is why as of right now at least, you can only fast charge using MagSafe.)

That being said, any multiport charger that provides 100W (or perhaps even a bit less) to at least one port will charge your Mac, just without the fast charging speeds. I’m sure other chargers supporting USB PD 3.1 will arrive in time.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Yep. Apple is literally using the newest standard lol. Haven't seen any c to c cables or chargers with the same certification.

That's why we're prob limited to 100w for now for type c charging or third party charger for MagSafe charging.

Reactions: smoking monkey

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Yep. Apple is literally using the newest standard lol. Haven't seen any c to c cables or chargers with the same certification.

That's why we're prob limited to 100w for now for type c charging or third party charger for MagSafe charging.
So If I picked up a 100w 3rd party charger with 2 USB C ports will it be a problem? I know I won't get the full charge if I have two things plugged in same time, but I'm cool with that. I don't need Magsafe at work. But I think I do need a 100w compatible USB C cable??? I already have one of those IIRC.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
So If I picked up a 100w 3rd party charger with 2 USB C ports will it be a problem? I know I won't get the full charge if I have two things plugged in same time, but I'm cool with that. I don't need Magsafe at work. But I think I do need a 100w compatible USB C cable??? I already have one of those IIRC.
Yeah. I have a Choetech 2 port 100w GaN charger. When u use both it limits each port to 45w. And if you use only 1 port it'll send full 100w. It should work just fine. As long as you use an emarked type c cable (the one that works with 100w)

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Yeah. I have a Choetech 2 port 100w GaN charger. When u use both it limits each port to 45w. And if you use only 1 port it'll send full 100w. It should work just fine. As long as you use an emarked type c cable (the one that works with 100w)
I think I might just buy another Apple Magsafe usb c cable and plug that into a 100w dual USB C charger. I guess that'll work.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I use the Satechi 100W charger with two USB-C and one USB-A. Works well but it will give most power to the first device connected. So it has happened that I get a very fast charge on my iPhone but slow charge on the MBP. Otherwise I am quite happy with that charger.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
I think I might just buy another Apple Magsafe usb c cable and plug that into a 100w dual USB C charger. I guess that'll work.
Yes it will!! And when you get another third party charger which will have the new power delivery standard . You will be able to use it to charge the MacBook at 140w!!

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Yes it will!! And when you get another third party charger which will have the new power delivery standard . You will be able to use it to charge the MacBook at 140w!!
Great! thanks for the info.

Appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully if a few others in a similar situation stumble across this thread, it'll help them too!

Reactions: white7561

DarthBradicus

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
If you get a multiport charger with a max of 100W, it may not provide enough power to charge your 16” and another device at the same time. (As another poster said, his charger outputs a max of 45W per port when two ports are used. That would likely be not be enough.)

There are some multiport chargers that have a combined output of over 100W (though no more than 100W from a single port) that may still output enough power to charge your laptop and another device at the same time.

I was just looking at a 108W 3-port charger from Satechi the other day that will do up to 88W/20W with two ports and up to 65W/20W/20W with three ports (as well as 100W with one port). 88W/20W might be enough to charge your MacBook and an iPhone at the same time. 65W/20W/20W may or may not effectively charge it, but if does, you could charge it with two phones or other low power devices. (It supports other combinations as well.) Basically, just make sure to look at the info of any charger before you buy it to see what power combinations it supports. There’s no point in buying a multiport charger if you can only use one port at a time.

Also, as far as buying a second MagSafe cable, unless you need an additional cable and would only ever use it for your Mac, there’s no reason to spend the extra money on it now when a regular C-to-C cable would work just as well. The MagSafe cable is only needed for faster than 100W charging with (as of right now) Apple’s charger.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
If you get a multiport charger with a max of 100W, it may not provide enough power to charge your 16” and another device at the same time. (As another poster said, his charger outputs a max of 45W per port when two ports are used. That would likely be not be enough.)

There are some multiport chargers that have a combined output of over 100W (though no more than 100W from a single port) that may still output enough power to charge your laptop and another device at the same time.

I was just looking at a 108W 3-port charger from Satechi the other day that will do up to 88W/20W with two ports and up to 65W/20W/20W with three ports (as well as 100W with one port). 88W/20W might be enough to charge your MacBook and an iPhone at the same time. 65W/20W/20W may or may not effectively charge it, but if does, you could charge it with two phones or other low power devices. (It supports other combinations as well.) Basically, just make sure to look at the info of any charger before you buy it to see what power combinations it supports. There’s no point in buying a multiport charger if you can only use one port at a time.

Also, as far as buying a second MagSafe cable, unless you need an additional cable and would only ever use it for your Mac, there’s no reason to spend the extra money on it now when a regular C-to-C cable would work just as well. The MagSafe cable is only needed for faster than 100W charging with (as of right now) Apple’s charger.
Great info as well. thanks. I'll look into that Satechi charger. I did notice that once you plug in another cable it goes down to 45w for most of them. So that's too low. So this 88/20 seems like a great deal.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
If you want the fast charing on the 16 inch you will need the Apple. Besides, if you have it in your lap most of the time, the magsafe has saved my bacon countless times. My wife never uses hers on her lap and so it never falls off the table.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I'm a minimalist packer (Onebagger). When I travel, I charge my 2019 16 Inch macbook pro with either a 45W Ravpower Gan charger which is like super thin and light... or I use a slightly larger 65W (multiport) Baseus charger. While these won't fast-charge the laptop, they keep the charge topped off and slowly charging. Which is enough for me. Well worth the benefit of being able to pack one tiny charger to power ALL of my devices.

While I like the idea of fast charging, it simply isn't needed for my lifestyle.

I go from Home office (plugged in) to airport lounge (where I can plug in) to airplane (where I can plug in) to client office (where I can plug in) to hotel (where I can plug in). I'd estimate in any given week I'm only really running on battery for like 6 hours.

Reactions: ajcgn

alels

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2020
Unless you’re doing a lot at work, you won’t have to charge it there. Also the 140w is for fast charging, a 60w charger (provided by most external monitors) would be more than plenty to at least sustain charge level while doing pretty gpu intensive work

• Haha
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Can I use the Apple 140w charger to charge my iPad and iPhone? Do I need a 100w usb c cable or can I use any cable? Are the 100w cables safe considering the charger is 140w max? I have no idea. But I'm sick of having so many bloody cables.

I guess I can charge my iPad via the MBP while it's plugged in with MagSafe and I won't drain the battery???

I think that may be the answer to the situation with no dual charging mega wattage chargers outside of Apple's atm.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Unless you’re doing a lot at work, you won’t have to charge it there.
Unfortunately I've found that not to be the case. the M1 Pro Max is a massive battery hog. Way more than I expected and I find the battery life to be quite inadequate and the weakest point of the machine by a very long way. but the charging is quite quick even with a 100w USBC cable. Still, if you're on the fence about Pro v Max and battery life is really important, go Pro.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Unfortunately I've found that not to be the case. the M1 Pro Max is a massive battery hog. Way more than I expected and I find the battery life to be quite inadequate and the weakest point of the machine by a very long way. but the charging is quite quick even with a 100w USBC cable. Still, if you're on the fence about Pro v Max and battery life is really important, go Pro.
Weird. I never charge mine (M1 Pro Max MBP) over 80%, and i‘ve never had it die during the day, no matter what I‘m working on. Have you checked that your battery is not defective?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Weird. I never charge mine (M1 Pro Max MBP) over 80%, and i‘ve never had it die during the day, no matter what I‘m working on. Have you checked that your battery is not defective?
I'll have to check. I should contact Apple and get them to do a remote test on the battery. I do have it connected via personal hotspot at times during the day along with intensive Keynote editing. But apart from that I can't think of anything else that would drain the battery all that much.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I'll have to check. I should contact Apple and get them to do a remote test on the battery. I do have it connected via personal hotspot at times during the day along with intensive Keynote editing. But apart from that I can't think of anything else that would drain the battery all that much.
You could use Coconut Battery or something similar to get an idea of how much power the computer is using, and then compare that to the rate of drain of your battery charge percent.

If it's low power draw but low battery life, suggests bad battery. If you have high power drain, then it's probably back to activity monitor to track down the source.

elbert

Suspended
Jun 17, 2018
3rd party USB PD 3.1 chargers that allow for more than 100W USB PD are not available in the market yet.

Best I've seen so far is this charger below.

140W USB-C output chargers are expected after 1-2 years. Why so long? Because 3rd party chargers took nearly 2 years to come out with a multi port USB charger with a dedicated 100W max output.

Total max output when USB PD 1 & 2 are used is 200W.

Total max output when all 4 ports are used is 189W.

I do disagree with the output though

Would have been nice if all 4 ports were occupied
  • USB-C PD1 100W
  • USB-C PD2 60W
  • USB-C PD3 30W
  • USB-A 10W
66704_cg_b.jpg

66704_output_combination-02.jpg

66704_box.jpg

https://www.verbatim.com.hk/accesso...-pd-3-0-qc-3-0-gan-charger-ac-power-cord.html

Last edited:

freefrank

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
Recently found this old thread. I'm using an ISDT 200X 4 ports charger with apple USBC to magsafe cable that reaching 140W charging speed on my 16" M1 Max mbp

but when using usbc to usbc, I can only achieve 90W because apple's limit.

No idea why 16" mbp can't while 14" can.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.