Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AccDa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
I have the MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021, M1 Pro) and I have it connected to the ProArt Display PA329CV.

If I connect the laptop to the display, it works fine and there are no issues. However, if the Mac goes to sleep and then I wake it up, I see a notification saying "usb accessories disabled". The odd thing is that the display still works with the MBP, and the battery indicator says fully charged and connected to the power adaptor.

I'm confused as to what the issue is, or whether it's a bug with Mac OS. The ProArt Display PA329CV can connect to the Mac via USB-C giving a max of 90W Power Delivery.

If I try to use the USB-C connector simply for the display, and use the mag-safe charger to power the MBP then the monitor doesn't work at all.

Has anyone else seen this issue, or have a suggestion as to why the USB accessory disabled notification keeps appearing?

roman.stapunov

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
Belarus
I bought ASUS ProArt PA279CV and connected it via type-c. my connection flow Mac book pro 16 2019 connected to dell Up2720Q via thunderbolt/type-c and new ASUS connected via type-c to Dell. Via dell I also have connected web cam , printer and charge AirPods. And I have exactly the same issue as you have.
before ASUS old ASUS 2k we’re connected to dell via type-c/display port adapter without any issues.

Seems this is some issue with pro art screens from ASUS when they connected via type-c. When I have time I am going to check firmware version of monitor and update if required, may be it helps. Before purchase I read reviews and found out that I may need to update firmware of monitor to let it works via type-c, but mine worked immediately I unpacked it, so postponed this exercise.

this is a link I found when reviewed before purchase - https://www.asus.com/lk/support/FAQ/1045839/ . As I wrote I didn’t try it yet because my works out of the box

AccDa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
Thank
I bought ASUS ProArt PA279CV and connected it via type-c. my connection flow Mac book pro 16 2019 connected to dell Up2720Q via thunderbolt/type-c and new ASUS connected via type-c to Dell. Via dell I also have connected web cam , printer and charge AirPods. And I have exactly the same issue as you have.
before ASUS old ASUS 2k we’re connected to dell via type-c/display port adapter without any issues.

Seems this is some issue with pro art screens from ASUS when they connected via type-c. When I have time I am going to check firmware version of monitor and update if required, may be it helps. Before purchase I read reviews and found out that I may need to update firmware of monitor to let it works via type-c, but mine worked immediately I unpacked it, so postponed this exercise.

this is a link I found when reviewed before purchase - https://www.asus.com/lk/support/FAQ/1045839/ . As I wrote I didn’t try it yet because my works out of the box

Thanks for the suggestion and sharing the link - at least it looks like they have identified a fixable bug. Not sure if there's any major different between the 27" and 32", but I've just got in contact with ASUS to see if that firmware can also be used with the 32".

Reactions: roman.stapunov

HFY

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2021
I have the exact same problem, and it is worse after the 26/01/2022 Firmware update, before that I only get the annoying message, now this monitor won't power my MacBook Pro at all. I am really regret upgrading to the latest firmware.

HFY

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2021
I just saw this article from ASUS https://www.asus.com/lk/support/FAQ/1045839
So PA279CV, the 27 inch variant has the same USB-C issue. the 27 inch and the 32 inch got the same firmware update to solve the USB-C issue, I don't know about the 27 inch, but my 32 inch is way worse after the update.
Basically, as long as my M1 Mac is not drawing power from PA329CV via its USB-C connection, the monitor will stop communicating any with my MacBook. And the monitor is then stuck, and refuse to power or transmitting display stream signals to any laptop unless I completely power off the monitor for 10 seconds (by completely I mean disconnect its power source, not just turn it off using that built in power button on the front panel) and restart it.
I really hate this monitor.

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I was thinking of updating the firmware, but after reading the above, not sure now. Additionally, all the update files are for Windows, so not sure if I even can.

HFY

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2021
I was thinking of updating the firmware, but after reading the above, not sure now. Additionally, all the update files are for Windows, so not sure if I even can.
It is not working for windows either. The only way to make it work more reliably is to not use any of the USB ports on the monitor so that its usb c cable is used purely for display connection and charging. If I plugin any additional usb devices to any of its ports, after the display went to sleep, it never wakes up

ciphermedia

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2022
I have a ProArt PA279CV monitor with the same issue running on a Mac Studio.

The USB-C connection stopped working completely one point so I couldn't use the monitor at all & I ended up having to send it back to the service centre where they did a firmware update.

Monitor now works again but I still get the 'USB Accessories Disabled' messages constantly when my Mac wakes up. Basically, I can use it as a monitor but the USB ports on it are useless. Don't think I would ever have bought it if I'd know this was an issue.

Reactions: marcifer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.