Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rastiomac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2021
We all think different. Some people like ports and some don't. Some people like adapters and hubs, while some people don't. I can understand why Apple kept only Thunderbolt ports few years ago and also why they reintroduced old-new ports on new MBPs. An objective fact.

Now comes the subjective part: Personally I was waiting eagerly for the new MBP with ports, as I don't like carrying around anything except the Mac itself (and the power brick). I am the old school Mac user, even prior OS X, from times when you bought a Mac and it simply worked well. And by coincidence it was also the best machine in the room.

To be 101% satisfied with the new-old (MBP), I would love to have both an ethernet and UBS-A ports available. It's not there yet, sorry for the misleading thread's subject.

Ethernet therefore, because sometimes a situation occurs, when the wi-fi is slow or not working at all and cable is available, but the port is not (and I don't like adapters). USB-A therefore, because in my opinion, it will not become obsolete because of USB-C, but they will co-exist (for similar reasons why MiniDisc did not kill CD, but only later MP3 kind of did), simply too many people already have some devices using USB-A, and USB-C is not, for their user cases, a technological leap.

I do understand the argument, that MBP is too thin for an ethernet port. Similarly I could also understand limitation of ports due to some internals (like the opinion why still only HDMI 2.0).

Finally the question for discussion:

If there is an ethernet port on iMac's power brick (https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/21/imac-tidbits-headphone-jack-wifi-6-ethernet/), there are external powerbricks with more USB-A and USB-C ports on it (see Anker, Innergie, Charge Asap and others) while still working safely with Apple products and there are all-in-one USB-C hubs avaiable - Why there is until now no "powerbrick married with hub" produced by whatever company in the world if Apple is not going this direction for MBP?

With the new MBP with ports, the powerbrick needs to have just an ethernet port and a USB-A port on it. If it would also have a microSD port and a second USB-C port for iPhone/iPad/Watch charging, I would still buy it ;-) And carry it around, because I do carry it with me all the time anyway.

Does anybody know why there is no such product available? Or is it? Is there any technological hurdle or so? Too hot environment due to charging, not enough physical space or cable bandwith not sufficient? From my layman perspective, it seems easy (to produce) and satisfying (to MECE use), but still waiting (my money)...

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
R

P.S.: How it would work with MagSafe etc., that is another layer of the topic. Let's assume it's simple charging via USB-C, which anyway is still an option with new MBP.

Reactions: Evan Li
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.