Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase s MacBook for my wife and son and am uncertain about which model to choose. Their primary uses would include browsing the internet, using Word, and running AutoCAD for my son's architecture studies, though not at a professional level.

BestBuy is currently offering significant discounts on the MacBook Pro M2, which features a Touch Bar. However, I'm hesitant because of potential issues, and I've noticed that Apple has discontinued the MacBook Air M2 and offering discounts. I'm unsure about the best option and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has faced a similar decision. I'm tending towards the MBP but that Touch Bar freaks me out. Thanks!

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
For Autocad i would go for a M chip with fan and 16GB. Which generation isn’t that important. A refurb M1 Pro 14“ maybe?

For your wife any M chip Air should be fine.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
For Autocad i would go for a M chip with fan and 16GB. Which generation isn’t that important. A refurb M1 Pro 14“ maybe?

For your wife any M chip Air should be fine.
Thanks,
They are going to share the computer. I’m leaning towards to M2 MBP which is on sale with a closer price to the Air.
I hear lots of people who enjoy the Touch Bar. Maybe I’m overthinking about it.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
If you're not going for one of the Pro/Max chips then go MacBook Air over the M2 Pro.

Touch Bar is on its way out and it will severely limit the device in the future when Apple decides to drop support for it. Plus it's really hard to repair down the line compared to simple keyboard.

AutoCAD is not a workflow that requires sustained performance so the fan of the Pro isn't going to help. In fact, if AutoCAD and any form of CAD is a consideration, highly consider just buying one of the cheaper Windows laptops with a dedicated GPU. Windows is still the superior platform to run most CAD applications.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Thanks,
They are going to share the computer. I’m leaning towards to M2 MBP which is on sale with a closer price to the Air.
I had the same computer shared with my wife. It’s totally fine, but unspectacular cos its such an old design.

I set the touch bar to fixed old style function. As the constant changing of button layout didn’t help usage.

But keep in mind that 16GB is highly recommended when users don’t log out but the other account wants to work. So the RAM isn’t emptied. Its like having half RAM per account. Buying the 8GB will result in constant memory pressure.

touch ID helps for quick user accounts change.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks,
I think it’s pretty clear that most people didn’t use or like the Touch Bar since it’s now finally totally gone, and never changed over its life. I personally only ever used it to change screen brightness and volume, and that is done much more efficiently with actual buttons. Otherwise the M2 Pro is a decent computer but having only 2 USB-C ports can be limiting for some users. You effectively get one more with the M2/M3 Air because of the addition of MagSafe power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.