Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adarkenigma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Originally apple told me it was going to be $630 with tax and all. I told apple support it has 3 beeps and does not start. Today i got email saying they need to hear from me and on status page it says

“Our technicians carefully inspected your product and found an issue that wasn’t mentioned in the original repair request. You can find more information on your repair listed to the right.
If you wish to proceed with the repair, please approve the updated repair cost listed below. We can also send your device back to you unrepaired at no charge.
There is damage from a noisy hard drive that is not covered by Apple's Limited Warranty, an AppleCare plan, consumer law, or the original quoted cost of the repair.”

I contacted apple again wanting more detail on the issue. They said senior tech would call me but no one called me and now I have till 9th to respond.

Background:

About two weeks ago i was streaming on prime video and all of sudden I heard loud pop sound from speakers and screen had checkered colored rectangles and became unresponsive so i held power button down and rebooted in safe mode worked after when i tried to restart again it would not start, after while tried again and now there is 3 beeps. Took it to a local repair shop. They told me its ram or logic board issue and only apple can fix it.

I know its not hard drive because before shipping it to apple i swapped ssd with new “1 TB Feather M-13-S SSD” got off amazon and shipped original hard drive to my fiance because i wanted to data off there and she has exact same MBP and it worked fine on here MBP (she is in cali). Only reason i swapped it because on it said they may wipe hard drive and i could send it with wiped hard drive.

So i dont know if apple it telling truth or its even worth repairing 6 years old MBP,

I paid $2900 in august 2014 and now another $1500?

Can someone advice me on what to do next?

Should i try to go with 13” MBP? I was saving for a new mini led screen MBP that is due in a year or two.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I would not repair it at all. You can shop a used 2015 MBP for far less than your repair cost on a 2014, and transfer your SSD to the 2015 and have a better MBP.

To me, your 1st quote of $630 is more than I would spend to repair a 2014 model.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
$1,500 ?? For a 2014?
No use reading more than that.
NOT WORTH the cost of repair.

Time for something new.
Or at the very least... Apple-refurbished.

Reactions: 0128672 and jerryk

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
To me, your 1st quote of $630 is more than I would spend to repair a 2014 model.

Agree with this. I wouldn't even spend the $630 to repair a 2014, let alone $1500. There's quite a healthy secondary market for both used and newer MBPs than yours at a similar cost.

adarkenigma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
rossmann said its ram issue, entire board needs to be replaced. They don't have one with my exact configuration, little bit slower processor. (from 2.8 to 2.5), They are $500. Contemplating new mac buy and no resale busted old MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.