Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I have been gone from this particular site for awhile because it was different using it on my iPhone. I've probably missed a lot here. However, I am back and I have a question. I just had my charging cord replaced because my charging cord broke somehow. It keeps happening. It happened with my first MBP I had.

My question, am I accidentally stretching the cord that actually goes into my MBP by charging while I'm singing my MBP? I'm not now. It's charged and how can I prevent another break. Charge it at the lowest possible area and not use it while charging if I have it sitting on my lap. I have something that I can sit my MBP on my lap. It's like a "table" for lack of better words.

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
Is this a MagSafe power adapter, or do you have a newer MacBook Pro with a USB type C power adapter? How is your adapter breaking? Is the cable fraying, the pins in the connector itself getting stuck, it just stops charging your computer, or something with the part that actually plugs into the wall?

If it is the MagSafe adapter, and your issue is with the cables fraying, the cables are fairly frail and it doesn't take much to ruin them, unfortunately. Apple even has an article on helping keep the MagSafe chargers in working condition.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Is this a MagSafe power adapter, or do you have a newer MacBook Pro with a USB type C power adapter? How is your adapter breaking? Is the cable fraying, the pins in the connector itself getting stuck, it just stops charging your computer, or something with the part that actually plugs into the wall?

If it is the MagSafe adapter, and your issue is with the cables fraying, the cables are fairly frail and it doesn't take much to ruin them, unfortunately. Apple even has an article on helping keep the MagSafe chargers in working condition.
It's the thinner cord that goes into the MBP to charge.... I am not charging now, BTW. I'm thinking if I have to charge again today, I'll just go ahead and charge it and use my phone if I wanted to do something on the internet or whatever. I'm thinking that maybe I should try using the extension cord. I can set my MBP on the side of my dresser and just use the extension cord to reach the outlet. I should have plenty of cord to reach with the extension cord. I have many outlet options so its no big deal.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
It's the thinner cord that goes into the MBP to charge.... I am not charging now, BTW. I'm thinking if I have to charge again today, I'll just go ahead and charge it and use my phone if I wanted to do something on the internet or whatever. I'm thinking that maybe I should try using the extension cord. I can set my MBP on the side of my dresser and just use the extension cord to reach the outlet. I should have plenty of cord to reach with the extension cord. I have many outlet options so its no big deal.

This is what @Shadow Jolteon wanted to know when asking what MBP and charger you are using.

1d93d1e7819773ab03485b3219add88f.jpg

Reactions: Shadow Jolteon

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
All good to know, but what is exactly wrong with your power adapter and which one do you have?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
1d93d1e7819773ab03485b3219add88f.jpg

I am talking about the power adapter on the left. I try not to use my MBP when charging now unless its necessary now.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It’s a known design flaw with the MagSafe chargers. It has been fixed with the new Macs that use usb-c for charging since a) cables are more sturdy and b) they are replaceable

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I do not know how many chargers I have been through of the MagSafe and MagSafe 2 version over the years.
What I normally experience is fraying/expousere of cord along with the area being stiff. This either happens near the brick or the MagSafe. My normal fix have been electric tape and avoiding to move/stress the cord. So if you are a lot one the move get a new charger just to be safe.
I think it is a design flaw with some organic plastic (or something like it) that Apple uses, it might help for a green profile, but not for longevity.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Right now, I am sitting on my bed charging my MBP while I use my MBP Since my bed is quite wide I can easily rest the battery on my bed because I attached the extension cord to the battery. I'm thinking if I want to do something, have to do something, or just want to go on the internet. I can just sit on my bed and rather than trying to charge my MBP without the extension cord, I'll use the extension cord. there is no pull whatsoever. :)

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Right now, I am sitting on my bed charging my MBP while I use my MBP Since my bed is quite wide I can easily rest the battery on my bed because I attached the extension cord to the battery. I'm thinking if I want to do something, have to do something, or just want to go on the internet. I can just sit on my bed and rather than trying to charge my MBP without the extension cord, I'll use the extension cord. there is no pull whatsoever. :)

Kind of off-topic, is the Mac on the bed or on your lap? Not good to use it for extended periods while on soft surfaces like a bed, the ventilation gets blocked and it can overheat.

On-topic - I'm still using the power brick that came with my MBP, and I'm CONSTANTLY dragging the brick around the floor while it's connected to the Mac. My recliner is across the room from where the brick is plugged in (with the 3-prong extension cord attached as well), when I get up and go to put the laptop on the TV stand where it goes when I'm not using it, the brick gets dragged across the floor (and the same in reverse).

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Kind of off-topic, is the Mac on the bed or on your lap? Not good to use it for extended periods while on soft surfaces like a bed, the ventilation gets blocked and it can overheat.

On-topic - I'm still using the power brick that came with my MBP, and I'm CONSTANTLY dragging the brick around the floor while it's connected to the Mac. My recliner is across the room from where the brick is plugged in (with the 3-prong extension cord attached as well), when I get up and go to put the laptop on the TV stand where it goes when I'm not using it, the brick gets dragged across the floor (and the same in reverse).
I am actually using a "lap desk". I avoided my lap as much as possible. I don't have one of the spec shells (?) on this MBP either, I was told that wasn't good and it traps heat or something like that.

As for the soft surfaces. If I have to put my MBP down for any reason, I put my lap desk on the floor it has a cushioned bottom for my lap. I never close it up. On the subject. Would it over heat if I were to put it away right away after using it especially if it was for a long period of time like if I were to be listening to music? (Like I am doing now as well as being on the internet.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.